Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: f1r3br4nd One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 86587  
Subject: Tips on getting a better deal at hotels. Date: 1/6/2000 1:20 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
(at least, at the hotel where I moonlight)

1. Pay with a credit card. Fools don't like credit cards? Fair enough-- get a Visa check-card. We'll never say this officially, but we don't trust cash guests any further than we can throw them.

2. Make a reservation first-- many hotels offer AAA, AARP, Military, etc. discounts. If you happen to have forgotten to join one of these organization, it's harder to check over the phone and chances are the clerk won't bother asking for your member card number or whatever. Then, when you show up, the clerk on duty will just dutifully hit "ok" on whatever shows up on her computer screen (again without checking it) and swipe your card through. Voila, instant ~$10 discount.

3. We don't mind helping people, and we are usually cheerful. Make no mistake, though-- we're even happier when you don't bug us. If you're the customer from hell, don't be surprised when the front desk staff cheerfully and courteously refuse to do one iota more for you than company policy compells them to do. Conversely, sometimes I find myself giving people a discount just because they are friendly, easy going, and I don't think they'll make my job unnecesserily difficult. So, if you think you'll be needing a favour from the staff, try to not exhibit these traits:

a. Angry, irrational, or confrontational.
b. Slow reaction time (I hand you your room keys and you just stand there staring at me)
c. Calling or showing up at the front desk every 5 minutes all night long with frivolous or downright stupid requests.
d. Repeatedly asking for things that the hotel staff either cannot provide or is not allowed to (having to tell people 'no' is stressful and eventually the 'no' sayer starts to externalize the stress)

...in fact, these are probably behaviors to avoid when dealing with anybody in a service sector job. Since starting my night job, I've gotten a lot better at negotiating with clerks, phone operators, and of course hotel staff.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: BobSch Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7969 of 86587
Subject: Re: Tips on getting a better deal at hotels. Date: 1/6/2000 8:26 AM
Recommendations: 0
Great suggestions!

As to your last comment. I'm convinced everyone should have to work some sort of cutomer service/retail job, preferably as early in their career as possible, just so they'll know what it's like on the other side of the counter.

Bob
... been there, done that, got the scars to prove it.

Author: pikapp383 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7970 of 86587
Subject: Re: Tips on getting a better deal at hotels. Date: 1/6/2000 10:18 AM
As to your last comment. I'm convinced everyone should have to work some sort of cutomer service/retail job, preferably as early in their career as possible, just so they'll know what it's like on the other side of the counter.

My mom always said that everyone should be a waiter/waitress for at least a little while to learn that very thing. I got my exposure as a pizza driver, but mine was a little better. Everyone is always happy to see the pizza man because you have their food. But I still had to deal with the Great Unwashed, err, I mean the general public.

Wow, there are some really silly people out there.

pikapp383
has some very minor scars of his own

Author: AKJayhawk Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7977 of 86587
Subject: Re: Tips on getting a better deal at hotels. Date: 1/6/2000 1:30 PM
2. Make a reservation first-- many hotels offer AAA, AARP, Military, etc. discounts. If you happen to have forgotten to join one of these organization, it's harder to check over the phone and chances are the clerk won't bother asking for your member card number or whatever. Then, when you show up, the clerk on duty will just dutifully hit "ok" on whatever shows up on her computer screen (again without checking it) and swipe your card through. Voila, instant ~$10 discount.

Sorry, but I have to cry foul on this one. If I'm reading and interpreting this correctly, you're advocating we state affiliations we don't really have in order to get a discount? In other words, you're saying I should ask for the AAA discount even if I'm not a AAA member? Nope, that one won't fly, in my opinion. That's cheating in my book.

Otherwise, these are good suggestions from the other side of the counter. Appreciate the advice.

Thanks
• Jeff

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7982 of 86587
Subject: Re: Tips on getting a better deal at hotels. Date: 1/6/2000 5:43 PM

Bob
... been there, done that, got the scars to prove it.

I spent seven years in a public library, and I never did get over the people who threw books at my head because they were mad with life.

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7983 of 86587
Subject: Re: Tips on getting a better deal at hotels. Date: 1/6/2000 6:02 PM
I spent seven years in a public library, and I never did get over the people who threw books at my head because they were mad with life.

Boy, windowseat! You must've had a lot of people in your library who didn't like Reading Mad or Life Magazines!

Even if they didn't like the issues, I can't see why they'd throw them at your head!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7984 of 86587
Subject: Re: Tips on getting a better deal at hotels. Date: 1/6/2000 6:28 PM
Boy, windowseat! You must've had a lot of people in your library who didn't like Reading Mad or Life Magazines!

Even if they didn't like the issues, I can't see why they'd throw them at your head!

Tony, you've got to stop skipping words when you read. Not magazines, books. Heavy books. Like the New York City Telephone Book.

Ever had the world thrown at your head?

Author: DanShep Big red star, 1000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7988 of 86587
Subject: Re: Tips on getting a better deal at hotels. Date: 1/6/2000 7:18 PM
Recommendations: 1
Tony, you've got to stop skipping words when you read. Not magazines, books. Heavy books. Like the New York City Telephone Book.

Ever had the world thrown at your head?

They obviously mistook you for the head librarian.

Disney Dan
(would you believe a violinist?
would you believe my wife says it sounds like a microwave in heat?)

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7989 of 86587
Subject: Re: Tips on getting a better deal at hotels. Date: 1/6/2000 7:26 PM
They obviously mistook you for the head librarian.

Nah, they were just law enforcement officers, and they threw the book at her.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: wildgirl Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8046 of 86587
Subject: Re: Tips on getting a better deal at hotels. Date: 1/7/2000 11:46 PM
I had the sociology lessons of working for Howard Johnsons and Denny's for years as a 3rd shift waitress. The great unwashed get more dynamic as the night goes on. That is a gracious way of putting it. Some of my friends went out tonight not expected in till 5 a.m. I have nothing but respect for them. And Mom is right everyone should waiter/waitress. :>wdg

Author: wildgirl Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8047 of 86587
Subject: Re: Tips on getting a better deal at hotels. Date: 1/7/2000 11:49 PM
I would be a guest of the state penal system if anyone would throw a book at me. I admire your resolve.:>wdg

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8053 of 86587
Subject: Re: Tips on getting a better deal at hotels. Date: 1/8/2000 2:44 PM
I would be a guest of the state penal system if anyone would throw a book at me. I admire your resolve.:>wdg

To tell you the truth, he didn't bother me as much as the guy who wrote to the head of the library system, accusing me of practicing 'Psychic Censorship'. I would know, he claimed, when books came in that he wanted to read, and I would hide them from him. He spent all day in the library, and every time I looked up I would find him staring at me. The staff had a plan that when he came in with a weapon, whoever was closest would push the silent alarm, and the rest would take cover in the back room. He never did while I was there, but we were ready.

He also claimed that the post office was hiding his mail.

We had some strange people there.

Author: DanShep Big red star, 1000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8054 of 86587
Subject: Re: Tips on getting a better deal at hotels. Date: 1/8/2000 4:11 PM

We had some strange people there.

Yeah. That is why I wash off each page of the books I check out from the library. You never know when the Government irradiates the pages to burn off your fingerprints.

Lining the cover with aluminum foil helps, too.

Disney Dan
(practicing sarcasm since 8:15 this morning)

Author: Raggmopp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8055 of 86587
Subject: Re: Tips on getting a better deal at hotels. Date: 1/8/2000 4:19 PM
Disney Dan
(practicing sarcasm since 8:15 this morning)

Good for you. Stick to that story. In the interim lemme borrow the gold foil for my NASCAR hat.

Raggmopp

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8056 of 86587
Subject: Re: Tips on getting a better deal at hotels. Date: 1/8/2000 4:44 PM

I really hate that. My post office does the same thing.

Whenever I go in there, they say, "C'mon, Tony. Try to find it! No, you're very cold.....getting colder...you're warm....getting warmer...nope, cold again...."

It's really such an annoyance.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement