No. of Recommendations: 0
There are two components to a TIPS: the interest, and the inflation adjustment to principal.

I assume that the interest will be reported on a 1099-INT, and taxed accordingly.

How is the principal reported and taxed? Is it taxed as interest, or as a capital gain?

Cross-posted to Tax Strategies Board
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.