Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 71235  
Subject: Tires Date: 4/12/2013 5:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I ran over something the size of a lug nut that punctured the tread. The tire place didn't know what the object was. To me it looked like a tip off of a powerwasher. So I need at least one tire to be replaced. I have a 2008 Toyota Highlander with 4-wheel drive. Generally, you want all the tread on the tires to be the same depth. Right now, the tires have 6/32 tread left. The original depth is 10/32. My tire dealer says that a vehicle like mine can have a difference in tread depth of 4/32 which puts mine right at the edge of being okay by their standards. I called the dealer and officially they say all tires should have the same tread depth. Off the record, they said I'd be okay.

Right now, the plans are to replace two tires with the same brand which are General Grabbers. I'm starting to rethink that. I'm thinking that instead of replacing two so I can get another 10K to 20K miles, I just go ahead and put a new set of four tires on it. My plans are to switch to Michelin LTX M/S since the current tires are my second set of Generals that are not getting much more than 40K miles on them. I know a few people who are getting close to 100K out of Michelins.

Thoughts?

PSU
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement