Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jammerh Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 11704  
Subject: Tires and Air Filter... Date: 10/14/2012 3:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I know what I believe, but trying to convince my partner is another thing. She has a fairly new Honda SUV with about 16,000 miles on it.

After only 10,000 miles she needed new tires. Just last week a local outfit told her she needed a new air filter.

In my view she shouldn't be having to replace these things on a vehicle with so little mileage and I'd like to hear from anyone else who has had maybe a little more experience with such things.

On the other hand, she probably is a little rough in turning the vehicle. I think many drivers turn in a way that the power steering tends to grind the tread away prematurely. I think this happens more if you didn't experience a time before power steering when you learned the importance of allowing the car to gain a little forward momentum before forcing it to turn. Just turning at a dead stop can be murder on tire treads. The powering mechanism will allow you to do it, and you may have to when parking in a tight space, but the more you're inclined to do this the more wear you'll develop.

As for the air filter I was reading recently that on newer vehicles the computer employs sensors to adjust for how dirty the thing may be makining regular cleanings even less important. On old vehicles we used to just take the thing out and bang it a few times to get (some) of the dust and dirt out and we were good for a few more miles.

Still it's hard to imagine a new vehicle could need a new one after only 16,000 miles if she's only driving over relatively clean city streets.

Any thoughts?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: dbruce100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11397 of 11704
Subject: Re: Tires and Air Filter... Date: 10/15/2012 8:54 AM
Recommendations: 1
OEM tires are often fast wearing. 16k miles seems very quick though. Did the tires wear evenly. However you turn the wheel at a stop is not the cause of this.

What does the manual say about replacing the air filter?

Author: jeffbrig Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11398 of 11704
Subject: Re: Tires and Air Filter... Date: 10/15/2012 10:17 AM
OEM tires or not, 10,000 miles on an SUV is indicative of a problem. Is this a SRV or a Pilot? My money is on a bad alignment. If the wheels aren't properly aligned, it will burn off tread while moving in a straight line.

Let me put it this way. I drive a sporty roadster, and I have the softest, highest performance tires money can buy. The average passenger tire on your SUV should be 3-5 times more durable than the rubber I have. I get 8-10k miles out of rear tires (remember, rear wheel drive sports car), and 20-25k miles out of my front tires. And I usually drive it like I stole it, if you know what I mean.

Air filter is not a huge deal, I replace mine every 2 years or so. If you live in a dusty region, it's probably a bigger deal. My understanding is that the car's ECU regulates the air/fuel mix and will compensate for reduced airflow through the filter, but you're losing power when that happens.

Author: dbruce100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11399 of 11704
Subject: Re: Tires and Air Filter... Date: 10/15/2012 10:45 AM
Seems the OP's issue isn't too unheard of.

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/10335...

Have an alignment done.

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11400 of 11704
Subject: Re: Tires and Air Filter... Date: 10/15/2012 11:02 AM
Recommendations: 2
As for the air filter I was reading recently that on newer vehicles the computer employs sensors to adjust for how dirty the thing may be makining regular cleanings even less important. On old vehicles we used to just take the thing out and bang it a few times to get (some) of the dust and dirt out and we were good for a few more miles.

A little dirt is a good thing with air filters; it increases the efficiency of the filter, as long as there is not so much that it restricts airflow. The MAF sensor will tell the computer how much air is flowing and it will adjust fuel delivery accordingly.

Air filters are common revenue enhancement devices, with the actual condition of the filter being inconsequential to the recommendation to replace.

Richard

Author: Ga1Dawg Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11401 of 11704
Subject: Re: Tires and Air Filter... Date: 10/15/2012 1:17 PM
I don't understand the big deal with the air filter?
Can't you change it for about $10 and less than 2 min?

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11402 of 11704
Subject: Re: Tires and Air Filter... Date: 10/15/2012 2:22 PM
I know what I believe, but trying to convince my partner is another thing. She has a fairly new Honda SUV with about 16,000 miles on it.

After only 10,000 miles she needed new tires. Just last week a local outfit told her she needed a new air filter.

In my view she shouldn't be having to replace these things on a vehicle with so little mileage and I'd like to hear from anyone else who has had maybe a little more experience with such things.

On the other hand, she probably is a little rough in turning the vehicle. I think many drivers turn in a way that the power steering tends to grind the tread away prematurely. I think this happens more if you didn't experience a time before power steering when you learned the importance of allowing the car to gain a little forward momentum before forcing it to turn. Just turning at a dead stop can be murder on tire treads. The powering mechanism will allow you to do it, and you may have to when parking in a tight space, but the more you're inclined to do this the more wear you'll develop.

Still it's hard to imagine a new vehicle could need a new one after only 16,000 miles if she's only driving over relatively clean city streets.

Any thoughts?

As others have noted, OEM tires generally are crappy. Some models get better stock rubber than others. 10K is really premature for them to wear out, but if she is tough on the vehicle, hard braking, jack rabbit starts, etc. etc. and ignored proper tire pressures, certainly in the realm of possibility. Basically the easy way to figure out if they put crappy or good OEM tires on, do the tires have a warranty on them for mileage. The warranty would not be from Honda, but from the tire maker. No warranty means they were either a sticky, high performance summer only tire (very unlikely) or they were crap to begin with.

With all that said - I would be pissed if OEM tires lasted 10K miles, and not all OEM tires are crap. I got almost 60K miles from the stock rubber on my 2005 Grand Prix. My 2009 Pontiac G8 GT has 25K miles on it and I still have the OEM summer only Potenzas on them, good for another year or two depending on how many miles I drive. Those tires have been drag raced, road coursed, and three driving schools on top of that. Good rubber.

On the other hand I remember years ago my first car came with the absolutely lowest common denominator tires that Goodyear made, and I think they barely lasted 10K miles.

As far as the air filter, 16K miles isn't out of the normal realm of things - even in an urban environment. Can you pull the filter and look at it?

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11403 of 11704
Subject: Re: Tires and Air Filter... Date: 10/15/2012 2:25 PM
OEM tires or not, 10,000 miles on an SUV is indicative of a problem. Is this a SRV or a Pilot? My money is on a bad alignment. If the wheels aren't properly aligned, it will burn off tread while moving in a straight line.

Let me put it this way. I drive a sporty roadster, and I have the softest, highest performance tires money can buy. The average passenger tire on your SUV should be 3-5 times more durable than the rubber I have. I get 8-10k miles out of rear tires (remember, rear wheel drive sports car), and 20-25k miles out of my front tires. And I usually drive it like I stole it, if you know what I mean.

GM will do a free four-wheel alignment if you complain on their GMT900 platform vehicles (Tahoe, Suburban, Avalanche, Yukon, Silverado, Sierra, Escalade, etc.) within the first few months of ownership. The high suspensions require extra tightening (so it was explained to me) on the car carriers so the vehicles don't bounce. However that cranking them down can knock them out of factory alignment.

Your post jogged my memory and my 2001 Avalanche was pulling right hard right out of the box. There was a TSB out there (that was a GMT800 vehicle but GM was doing it on the GMT900 updates) to do a courtesy alignment.

Author: MacNugget Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11404 of 11704
Subject: Re: Tires and Air Filter... Date: 10/15/2012 3:10 PM
As others have noted, OEM tires generally are crappy. Some models get better stock rubber than others. 10K is really premature for them to wear out, but if she is tough on the vehicle, hard braking, jack rabbit starts, etc. etc. and ignored proper tire pressures, certainly in the realm of possibility.

As a general rule crappy tires last longer than good tires, not the other way around. :)

Author: dbruce100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11405 of 11704
Subject: Re: Tires and Air Filter... Date: 10/15/2012 3:56 PM
As a general rule crappy tires last longer than good tires, not the other way around. :)

To clarify, they have a crappy tread-wear rating and are marginal......typically.

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11406 of 11704
Subject: Re: Tires and Air Filter... Date: 10/15/2012 5:34 PM
To clarify, they have a crappy tread-wear rating and are marginal......typically.

Exactly.

You're not going to find too many OEM tires that have a treadwear of say 620, and a temp of A and a traction of A and a M&S rating (which given M&S is self-rated, the M&S designation is a bit bogus beyond an indication its good for all seasons)

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11407 of 11704
Subject: Re: Tires and Air Filter... Date: 10/19/2012 2:11 PM
Look at the tires. What is the tread wear rating? How worn are they? At safety inspection time 3/32" remaining tread is usually the minimum required tread depth. Is the wear nice and even or not?

xtn

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11408 of 11704
Subject: Re: Tires and Air Filter... Date: 10/19/2012 2:16 PM

LOL yeah. Anything with a tread ware rating over 100 is not worth the money.

xtn

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11409 of 11704
Subject: Re: Tires and Air Filter... Date: 10/26/2012 10:41 AM
We've had two cars that came with the absolute worst tires imaginable. They were a particular Bridgestone model that was lucky to see 15,000 miles, depending on how much you like to hydroplane ;) A quick look at TireRack online, showed the worst customer review score I'd ever seen. Other Bridgestones I have bought were very good tires, wearing well. Must be a special cheapie they build for the OEM market.

The best wearing tire I've ever had is the newer Yokahama Envigor. High tread life rating, and it earned it. 35,000 miles and it still looks and feels like new.

As for air filters? High margin sales. They are cheap to buy, and easy to put in. Depends on where you drive. I've seen air filters at 5,000 miles that look like the car had been in the Baja races. I do mine generally every 10 months, somewhere around 20K.

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11410 of 11704
Subject: Re: Tires and Air Filter... Date: 10/26/2012 2:14 PM
My Grand Prix came with stock Bridgestones and they were very good - but there is some real crap out there. I have Yokohamas on the Saturn, extremely happy with them. Tremendous rain performance and last winter were outstanding in the snow.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement