UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Radish Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 128074  
Subject: Re: Calling all plumbers! Date: 10/24/2013 1:26 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
TMBFAverageJoe,

The illustration shows everything that came in the box.

Looks like a union to me. You should be able to put a pipe wrench on (3) and try tightening the nut (2) a little with another wrench. If that doesn't work, I can't think of anything you can do besides open the union up and try again.

Unions are very picky about alignment between the two mating parts (1) and (3). Even a small angle between the two is enough to make it leak no matter how tight you tighten the nut. It looks to me like, outside the photos, you have another union and the two are connected together by the valve body. That makes it extra tough, because the two pipes coming up have to be almost perfectly aligned. (If there was just one union, you could tweak things a bit to get them to line up. But with two, tweaking one will untweak the other usually.)

If that valve body will flex up even a little, you should be able to completely loosen the nut (2) and, if you can flex the pipe some, expose the mating surfaces of the union. See if they are clean and not gouged or otherwise damaged. You might have to open both unions up (to be able to raise the valve body a little).

That'd be an opportunity to remove the tape on the nut (2). Honestly, I doubt the tape is the source of the problem... but it's possible. Most likely, the two parts of the union aren't perfectly aligned or there's some damage on the mating surfaces.

Mis-alignment cannot usually be solved, in my experience, by just tightening the nut like crazy. If the union parts don't line up just right with the nut just hanging down on the pipe completely loose, they're not going to line up when you tighten the nut. Though it sure seems like they should... if you just tighten it a little more... maybe a bigger pipe wrench... maybe add a cheater bar... ;-)

Phil
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement