UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Rocannon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1490  
Subject: Re: Solve This Problem For Me Date: 7/2/2004 11:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
tmeri,

Any ideas?

Not really, but I will tell you my own personal rant on this subject.

I had a Timex for several years, and then the band broke, and I couldn't find a replacement band. So I decided to spring for a new Timex. After all, they cost $20 or so.

So I bought one at Wal-Mart. I don't like shopping at Wal-Mart, but it was the only place I could think of that would sell a reasonably priced watch. I bought the Timex for $20.

Three months later, the battery died. I took the watch back to Wal-Mart, saying I'd like the battery replaced, figuring they'd charge a little fee. Well, as you experienced at Target, they would not replace the battery at all. They told me that for *this* particular type of watch, they could not guarantee that the watch would not be damaged if it was opened, and hence they had a policy not to replace the battery.

I was, of course, enraged, and my reaction probably shortened my lifespan by several years. After mentally stomping up and down, swearing, and generally venting, I vowed never to enter a Wal-Mart again. I also vowed never to buy a Timex again (despite the fact that my experience with Timex had been pretty pleasant up until then). Then I took myself to 1) the jewelry department of Kohl's and 2) an independent jewelry store. They also would not replace the battery, but directed me to a nearby watch repair shop. The watch repair shop did replace the battery and charged me $10. So - $10 to replace a battery in a $20 watch, which I had just bought three months ago.

When the Timex finally died again, I tossed it and spent $70 on a Casio Baby-G. Such is the extent of my rage with Timex/Wal-Mart, that I would rather pay tons of money for a pricey Casio than pay a single cent to Timex, thereby cutting off my nose to spite my face. So far, the battery on my Casio has not died. I like Casio watches as well, so what the heck.

One more thing, which may help you:

When I was a young thing, I used to replace the batteries in my dad's watches. He had a set of very teeny-tiny screwdrivers, and I always was able to easily replace any battery in his watch by opening the back panel with said screwdrivers. I don't know why you are having trouble opening your watch with the tool they gave you. Does the watch have screws to hold the back panel in place? If so it should be no problem.... maybe get someone with good manual dexterity and sharp eyesight to help out. I would have done this myself with my Timex, but I no longer have the teeny-tiny screwdrivers and I was unable to find them in a store.

Rocannon
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement