Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: xFatOtt Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 22708  
Subject: TMF changed a buying decision Date: 12/5/2006 5:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 26
I was reading the thread on LBYM about iPods and saw a response that expressed a sentiment that I'd seen before: Don't just think about the purchase price right now, think about what it could grow to. I'll admit, I usually don't follow this philosophy. I've never cared much what that amount might hypothetically grow to.

But I started thinking that maybe these people were on to something. I should think about prices at different points in time. Right now I'm thinking about getting an iPod shuffle to go along with my 60 gb iPod. The shuffle costs $79, which I think is worth it to me. However, that $79 would hypothetically grow to about $795 in today's dollars if the market returns an inflation-adjusted 8% over the next 30 years. Holy crap, there's no way the shuffle is worth that much to me. So I decided not to get it.

Then I started thinking some more. That 8% number is hypothetical - I can't count on that. I prefer to base my decisions on knowns rather than unknowns. So I decided to reframe the problem. I remember buying a pair of generic shoes (IIRC, they were Adidas knock-offs with 4 stripes instead of 3) in early 1980. They were $35 cheaper than the Adidas. With this new way of looking at things, I figure I'd prefer having an iPod right now to having the real Adidas in 1980.

So I looked up the value-weighted market return since 1/1/1980. It turns out that the $35 I saved on those shoes in 1980, invested in the market, has grown to roughly $799 by the end of 2005. So now the decision is easy. I could buy 10 iPods right now for the present value savings on those shoes!

This is a really great decision-making process. I've been trying to convince my wife to buy a Nintendo Wii. They're around $650 for a bundle that includes games. That's a little more than I can get approval for. Or should I say "more than I could have gotten approval for"? It turns out that the $650 is in "today's dollars". When I remind my wife that a $1 invested in January 1974 was worth $37.55 at the end of last year, the price is only around $17 in "birth year dollars". What a bargain! We'll probably get one for each tv.

I never would have guessed how smart it would be to look at things this way. I'll be honest - it makes the money I paid for her engagement ring look pretty trivial. I just think in terms of my grandfather receiving a dollar on the day he was born. Who could complain about an engagement ring costing a dollar?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement