No. of Recommendations: 0
TMF Pixy posted...

"All in all, you should urge her most strongly to see an estate planner/tax advisor familiar with these issues. She only gets one chance here, and if she does it wrong, she can cost herself and her heirs some big bucks. Unless she enjoys giving Uncle Sam more than she has to, then getting some good advice is well worth the price."

I agree with Pixy about taking your mother to an FP because my mother passed that time and I was not involved in her finances because I didn't feel capable.

Now that I am more actively involved, I can see many of the decisions that could have and should have been made differently. I figure I am pretty sharp and have learned alot. I do not use an FP myself but for this one issue - RMD - I will use an FP. In fact, I will probably seek out an FP's advice 2 to 3 years prior to 70 1/2 as well as when I am 70 1/2. If my mother had the opportunity to remake that decision I'd pay for her to see an FP. It is way too easy to screw this up.


Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.