UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: KarmiCommunist Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 88919  
Subject: TMF Rules…and the Dualistic Word “Troll”. Date: 5/3/2001 6:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
“All we ask is that it's done in a lawful and civil manner”.
http://www.fool.com/help/foolsrules.htm

i am posting this first to TMF AAPL stock message board, and then to the “Improve the Fool” message board ( http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=100007 - link per TMFCheeze). First to TMF AAPL because that board uses the term “Troll” so often.

As a Day Trader (with a 'Lean Towards the Short Side'), i probably trade more stock in a week than many Investors/Posters do in their lifetime. i have been called “Troll” on TMF AAPL stock message board so many times that it would fill a book, and yet i have been “Warned” & Suspended for “Incivility”…so to speak.

If Stock Message Boards are meant only for those who have Long Term Buy Positions, then what is the purpose of such message boards??? Long Term Buyers and/or Product *LOVERS* (in some cases have never traded a share of stock) seem to *HATE* Shorts or anyone not supporting a Long Term Buy Position (BTW, Day Traders seem to get 'lumped' in with the Shorts).

TMF seems to allow Long Term Buyers to carry their Incivility at least a step further by allowing them to constantly post about “P-Boxing” those who are called “Trolls”…so to speak The Truth.

“All we ask is that it's done in a lawful and civil manner”.

TMF offers a “P-Box” solution to those who do not like another poster's posts, but allowing posters to constantly post about whom they are “P-Boxing” is condoning Incivility towards other board members, in me humble Low & Ignorant opinion.

Calling someone a “Troll” is not behaving in a “civil manner”, and the word should be added to TMF's list of violations against the Rules!!!

Me reasons for posting this are numerous, but i will not or have not gone into all of them…so to speak. The Motley Fool is my *FAVORITE* Internet Website, but after at least *SIX* suspensions & who knows how many warnings (BTW, its been 7-days since me last “Warning Notice” – WOW!!!), i decided to speak out against the use of the term “Troll” and posting about “P-Boxing” another poster.

Think “Civil Manner”,

KarmiCommunist
Karmic SLAUGHTERER
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15387 of 88919
Subject: Re: TMF Rules…and the Dualistic Word “Troll”. Date: 5/4/2001 8:55 AM
Recommendations: 5
If Stock Message Boards are meant only for those who have Long Term Buy Positions, then what is the purpose of such message boards??? Long Term Buyers and/or Product *LOVERS* (in some cases have never traded a share of stock) seem to *HATE* Shorts or anyone not supporting a Long Term Buy Position (BTW, Day Traders seem to get 'lumped' in with the Shorts).

Hi There,

It's not hard to fathom why the tone in stock boards is biased towards LTBH; most of the participants have a position in the stock and want to see their investment appreciate.

The interests of the short position, or sometimes day trader, is 180 degrees out of phase with the majority of the board. He wants to see the share price decline.

While it's ludicrous to think that discussion board posts are going to move a stock like AAPL, some people will post constant negative opinion and disinformation, in the hopes that investor sentiment will change and a short position can be covered at a profit. That leads to tension between opposing camps, and civility often goes by the wayside.

In our moderation, we are often in the position of a police force at a KKK demonstration; we want to preserve the peace, and the rights of individuals, while upholding the law. Often, neither side is satisfied.

If you want to discuss a stock with a short bias, there are other boards more suited to your strategy, and where you would recieve a warmer reception. While it might be fun to poke at the lions in their own den, sometimes you are going to get clawed.

Cheers,
Richard

Author: KarmiCommunist Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15422 of 88919
Subject: Re: TMF Rules…and the Dualistic Word “Troll”. Date: 5/5/2001 4:08 PM
Recommendations: 3
Namaste TMFTwitty,

Please Forgive me delay in responding, but after numerous “Warning Notices” and at least 6 suspensions, i have become somewhat wary of TMF Admins…so to speak.

-------------------------------
TMFTwitty wrote:
"It's not hard to fathom why the tone in stock boards is biased towards LTBH; most of the participants have a position in the stock and want to see their investment appreciate."

Er, OK; however, i am not sure what that has to do with this:
"All we ask is that it's done in a lawful and civil manner".

i realize that you took/quoted a part of me post, but surely you are not suggesting that it is OK to call another poster a “Troll”?!?

TMFTwitty wrote:
"The interests of the short position, or sometimes day trader, is 180 degrees out of phase with the majority of the board. He wants to see the share price decline."
--------------------------------

Er, OK, once again; however, i am still not sure what that has to do with this:
"All we ask is that it's done in a lawful and civil manner".

You previously wrote, “It's not hard to fathom why the tone in stock boards is biased towards LTBH; most of the participants have a position in the stock and want to see their investment appreciate”, and now suggest that it is OK for LTBH to call a Short or Day Trader a “Troll” because she/he “wants to see the share price decline”?!?

BTW, a Day Trader also buys a stock other than when merely closing a short position...so to speak.

--------------------------------
TMFTwitty wrote:
"While it's ludicrous to think that discussion board posts are going to move a stock like AAPL, some people will post constant negative opinion and disinformation, in the hopes that investor sentiment will change and a short position can be covered at a profit. That leads to tension between opposing camps, and civility often goes by the wayside."
---------------------------------

LTBH'ers do not post what can be understood as too much 'Positive' "opinions" and "disinformation, in the hopes that investor sentiment will change"?!? Er, OK. Again, it seems that you are suggesting that is is OK for TMF Admins to side with LTBH'ers, and allow them to call other posters "Trolls". BTW, i got a "Warning Notice" one time for "Cloaked Profanity", and it seems it was because i was in the wrong "camp"...so to speak.

TMFTwitty wrote:
"If you want to discuss a stock with a short bias, there are other boards more suited to your strategy, and where you would recieve a warmer reception. While it might be fun to poke at the lions in their own den, sometimes you are going to get clawed."

Are you suggesting that The Motley Fool does not want Shorts or Day Traders posting their opinions on TMF *STOCK* Message Boards?!?!?!?!? i do not post here seeking 'Recs' or a "warmer reception"...so to speak The Truth. Do you really think that a Karmic SLAUGHTERER would waste time and "poke at the lions"?!?!?!?!?!?! Pullllleeeaze!!! BTW, the only time that i get "clawed" is when some TMF Admin "Warns" or suspends me for replying to someone calling humble me a "Troll".

Many Blessings to You and Yours,

KarmiCommunist
Karmic SLAUGHTERER

Author: gridert Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15434 of 88919
Subject: Re: TMF Rules…and the Dualistic Word “Troll”. Date: 5/7/2001 8:54 AM
Recommendations: 0
Karmic,

Just for the record. The offical (per the Internet) definition of "troll" can be found here:

http://www.fwi.uva.nl/~mes/jargon/t/troll.html

Most people apply definition #2 when labeling a troll.

DISCLAMER: I do not inhabit the boards you (Karmic) normally post on (except this one). Thus I cannot judge if or if not the label "troll" properly applies.

Author: KarmiCommunist Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15499 of 88919
Subject: Re: TMF Rules…and the Dualistic Word “Troll”. Date: 5/10/2001 6:56 PM
Recommendations: 0
Seems that this Debate has suddenly came to a halt...so to speak.

Karmi

Author: tkrlzrd Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15500 of 88919
Subject: Re: TMF Rules…and the Dualistic Word “Troll”. Date: 5/10/2001 7:18 PM
Recommendations: 1
"Seems that this Debate has suddenly came to a halt...so to speak.

Karmi"

Thank you, Jesus!

Author: KarmiCommunist Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15501 of 88919
Subject: Re: TMF Rules…and the Dualistic Word “Troll”. Date: 5/10/2001 8:01 PM
Recommendations: 1
Who is "Jesus"???

Thanks in advance,

Karmi

Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15502 of 88919
Subject: Re: TMF Rules?and the Dualistic Word ?Troll?. Date: 5/11/2001 12:16 AM
Recommendations: 3
Seems that this Debate has suddenly came to a halt...so to speak.

... and you could not let a sleeping dog lie?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement