UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tpault Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 188786  
Subject: TMF virus vulnerable? Date: 12/12/2012 6:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
According to a website related to the trojan Topic Torch, the hijacking spyware attaches itself to weakly protected websites.

I have noticed that the topic torch hijacker only appears on TMF website, and a couple others. That's why in another thread I asked if it is a TMF thing.

The hijacker disguises itself in plain site as being related to the weakly protected website you are on. For instance, if on TMF, the faux search bar has links for penny stocks, stock market quotes, purchasing stocks, etc. But then if you actually use the search window, it merely hijacks your browser and takes you to rogue websites that pay Topic Torch to misdirect traffic there.

I asked in the other thread if anyone would share a trusted site for free spyware detection and removal, but no takers to that check yet. I apologize if coming to this help site and asking for help with finding a reputable spyware removal site, is like pulling teeth.

Microsoft's free spyware removal didn't detect it and in fact, after reading other complaints on the web, the spyware appears as though it may be attached to Microsoft updates.

Anyway, I don't know if the hijacker takes advantage of vulnerable websites and leeches onto places like TMF as this site suggests, or not:
http://hands-oncorp.com/2012/11/28/remove-topic-torch-virus-...

Quote from website: "Moreover, the toolbar is added immediately to vulnerable websites that modifies their appearance in a way that makes them less useful both to site owner and visitors.

That website goes on to suggest that website owners like TMF may need to do a site wide removal:

"You may need to get rid of Topic Torch virus as a website owner or computer administrator. In any case, use free scan tool here in order to resolve the issue of the removal of Topic Torch virus"

Paul T.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182907 of 188786
Subject: Re: TMF virus vulnerable? Date: 12/12/2012 9:13 AM
Recommendations: 18
I asked in the other thread if anyone would share a trusted site for free spyware detection and removal, but no takers to that check yet.

One possible solution has already been provided to you - Malwarebytes.

I apologize if coming to this help site and asking for help with finding a reputable spyware removal site, is like pulling teeth.

You have bickered and fought with a number of posters here on the littlest of things. You've told experts that they are wrong. You are probably not getting any assistance due to your previous posting history here. Most people can connect the dots.

PSU

Author: OrmontUS Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182908 of 188786
Subject: Re: TMF virus vulnerable? Date: 12/12/2012 9:36 AM
Recommendations: 3
First of all, when it comes to virus/trojan/malware removel, all advice is given on a generic basis. Without knowing specifically what is wrong with your PC, this is only a best guess and may not cure your specific problem. There is a presumption made that you are also running a good anti-virus program and have both kept it updated and run regular "complete" scans.

There are three things I would try:

1) Download Malwarebyte's anti-Malware package, update and run it. (I think this has already been suggested). Delete any problem files it finds.

2) Download "Superantispyware" (yes, it's actually called that tacky name, but make sure that you get this specific one - available at www.superantispyware.com). Download it, update it, run a "complete" scan and delete anything it finds as a problem.

3) Go into your web browser's "options" or "configurations" tab (you didn't mention which browser you're using) and reset it to the factory default setting. Make sure your homepage is something benign like www.Google.com. If this doesn't work (because your browser is hijacked, for example), try to download the latest browser version compatible with your operating system. Then uninstall your current browser. Reboot your PC and then install the downloaded browser.

Hopefully that will cure the issue.

Jeff

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182909 of 188786
Subject: Re: TMF virus vulnerable? Date: 12/12/2012 9:46 AM
Recommendations: 1
To the steps you provided, I would add that once the computer is clean, set a new restore point.

Author: jamesmw Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182914 of 188786
Subject: Re: TMF virus vulnerable? Date: 12/12/2012 5:21 PM
Recommendations: 0
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic182397.html

Author: tpault Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182918 of 188786
Subject: Re: TMF virus vulnerable? Date: 12/12/2012 6:14 PM
Recommendations: 0
You have bickered and fought with a number of posters here on the littlest of things. You've told experts that they are wrong

This is a great help group but still, humans. They aren't always right in here, in fact, often don't know the correct answer or sometimes aren't even familiar with the problems or symptoms. That's ok, everyone isn't all knowing and all seeing. We're all just human. That occasionally there's some back and fourth, is normal

Besides, you've argued with experts including myself on many occasions when it comes to finer aspects of home improvement and building. That's ok, I tried to protect you from being embarassed when you were wrong and instead tried to gently steer you in the right direction. I din't hold it against you, as you are suggesting what a piece of #$W@ I am for ever daring to suggest or call for a "rethink" on some discussions here.

Paul T.

Author: grouse100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182920 of 188786
Subject: Re: TMF virus vulnerable? Date: 12/12/2012 6:16 PM
Recommendations: 7
You are making unfounded illegal claims. Provide any small thread of evidence I hacked your account. You are paranoid and have NO clue to what you post!

Something not right about me? - have you forgotten this post?

http://boards.fool.com/incredible-behaviour-26538006.aspx

Up to 199 recs - guess that says who has something not right!

Author: grouse100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182921 of 188786
Subject: Re: TMF virus vulnerable? Date: 12/12/2012 6:26 PM
Recommendations: 3
< in fact, often don't know the correct answer>

How would you know, it is obvious you know nothing about PC's and are incapable of reading to find widely know solutions like Malwarebytes. PITIFUL!

All you know is how to pontificate and lack little practical knowledge.

Author: areumad Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182922 of 188786
Subject: Re: TMF virus vulnerable? Date: 12/12/2012 7:35 PM
Recommendations: 5
<<often don't know the correct answer or sometimes aren't even familiar with the problems or symptoms>>

Oh really, you come here asking for help, blaming it on TMF and you wonder why you get little response. You did it to yourself not paying attention to what you DL'd but want to blame others for your faults and then say folks here do not know what they are doing.

After this little tirade of yours I suspect you will get NO help in the future.

BTW, care to respond to grouse as to proof he/she hacked your account.

Author: oaklawn53 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182923 of 188786
Subject: Re: TMF virus vulnerable? Date: 12/12/2012 10:33 PM
Recommendations: 2
If you had used Web of Trust -WOT that has been mentioned here you would know that your link is a questionable site and not have trusted anything from there.

If you had done a simple google of Topic Torch you would have seen entry 3 from a reputable site on removal instructions.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic475269.html

If you had paid attention to whatever you downloaded you would not have installed the tag along download.

If you would pay attenion you could have removed it yourself.

BUT you know better and got infected and couldn't help yourself even though it was easy. You blamed TMF but u did it. You claim people here are wrong, but who got infected

Go build a bird house, you may be able to handle that and don't ask for help or tell PSU and others how to do it.

Oh maybe Mickey can help, nope they didn't want you at Disney either.

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182924 of 188786
Subject: Re: TMF virus vulnerable? Date: 12/12/2012 10:50 PM
Recommendations: 4
"They aren't always right in here, in fact, often don't know the correct answer or sometimes aren't even familiar with the problems or symptoms."

Begs the question that if you know what the "correct answers" are why do you need help so often? Or end up getting corrected by a real expert that you'd often just argue with? Is it really so "often" that just the other guy in the wrong? Are you always a victim being misunderstood, cheated, or hijacked? You make it hard to feel empathy for your drama & accusations - especially when you focus on anything but that you often immediately GOT the answered you've asked for here.

Doesn't take much debugger/engineer skills to spot easily that repeating pattern.

Back to the thread - Again the problem you raised in this is yours not TMF's or their servers. Note the lack of others reporting that problem here on TMF - then guess why that is. Malwarebytes should be THE obvious go-to source, to check 1st for suspect behavior or malware being on your end, at least obvious to anyone who's been on this board for as long as you have been. C'mon.

You wrote earlier "But seriously, some fixes say to use a spyware removal tool. Oh, silly me, that's what I thought I paid good money for Kaspersky for."

Then why not bother them (silly you who paid them good money)?

You also said "I'll try a restore point but it's only letting me choose a restore no longer ago than last week. What's the point? Why don't they allow for some permanant restore points."

They don't do lots of things you might want them to but in the mean time if you want a permanent restore point then backup your system! It's not like MS doesn't help with that and there's no better restore point than having viable backups - make them early and often. That is yet another thing you shouldn't need to be told after it being repeated here endlessly (if not being the obvious diligence required of computer users of the last 30+ years).
B

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182925 of 188786
Subject: Re: TMF virus vulnerable? Date: 12/13/2012 11:14 AM
Recommendations: 4
""They aren't always right in here, in fact, often don't know the correct answer or sometimes aren't even familiar with the problems or symptoms.""

There are no guarantees, and the advice is free (and some of us very much appreciate it). Want guarantees? Go consult an expert and pay the freight for it.

Ken

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement