Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 123522  
Subject: Re: IRA to Fund New Business Date: 3/13/2013 1:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
TMFBreakerRob: "Update:

My franchisor sent me to talk with a company called "FranFund".

Bottom line: There is a process to achieve what I'm looking for.... for a fee and it is known as a "Rollover for business start-up". FranFund performs the service of running through these steps:

Step 1: Get incorporated...must be a C-corp.

Step 2: Form a 401k sponsored by the C-Corp. Need a third party administrator, in this case...FranFund uses Merrill Lynch as the custodian.

Step 3: I would be a participant in the 401k and rollover money (for the business) from my another IRA account(s).

Step 4: The C-corp would issue stock and this stock would be purchased within the 401k."

From the last cited URL in your post:

Under this funding arrangement, business owners set up a C corporation for their new business. The C corporation establishes a new retirement plan. Then the individual's current retirement funds are rolled over into the C corporation's new plan. Last, the new retirement plan invests in the stock of the C corporation.

Not that I am an expert, but this process is still unclear to me.

First step in each instance is to form a C-corp. Who is the iniital sharehold when the C-corp is formed?

If the C-corp is to establish a 401-k, then it needs to be initially capitalized and officers appointed. Who is providing the initial capital and naming the original offices?

To rollover funds, you would need to be the employee of the new C-corp because only current employees can rollover funds.

If the C-corp is issuing more stock, then the initial shareholder is being diluted. In addition, if you are the initial shareholder and an officer of the company, it would appear to me that this is transaction with a related party, which would be a prohibited transaction as a result.

For this to work, there must be more going on or some other step(s) that is/re not fully disclosed.

I also note the old adage about having all one's eggs in the same basket.

Regards, JAFO
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2015!
Fistula Foundation: A World of Good!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.