UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1481  
Subject: Re: Win the lottery...and keep working? Date: 2/9/2013 1:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
TMFBuySellBelle

This place is driving me nuts! I just replied at length to this post, tried to correct some typos, and The Fool eliminated the hole damned message! Second time it has happened in 2 days!

Let me try again.

But say, for example, one retires with $200k in the bank. Assume also that they collect $1000/month in SS. That's $12,000/year in SS (and in some cases, SS income is taxable so that the actual total is even lower). The interest one would earn on $200k in a *completely safe* investment vehicle (insured interest-bearing account) is nothing--even 3-year CDs barely return more than 1% right now; some aren't even earning 1%.

First observation:

WHY put it all in CD's? Why not invest in various pretty darned safe stocks? Look at returns from things like GE, AT&T (symbol T) or B&G Foods (BGS) for a few. How doe 3.5 to 5% or better sound? ANd there are many others.

By the way, the "rule of 73" can help you figure out how fast your money can double if you let the dividends or interest compound. For example, 5% dividends, allowed to compound, would double your investment in 14.6 years. So $100,000, for example, would be $200,000 in 14.6 years, assuming these companies keep going!

Whatever you do, learn how to invest, be careful never to put everything in one place, and start doing better.

Remember, too, that whatever you earn in an IRA is tax-free until you withdraw it, once you are 59-1/2 or older.

We make about $40,000 altogether and have paid zero state or federal income taxes in the last 3 years, all with standard deductions. We ARE over 65, which helps.

IOW, look at alternatives, learn some things, and be careful.

Vermonter
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Why is Everyone Still Earnings-Obsessed?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement