UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mikefar Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1656  
Subject: TMFCheeze Date: 9/9/1999 3:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

DeadheadFool:

You are obviously correct by coming here to discuss the topic started on health/nutrition. When I read Cheeze's posts, I laughed so hard I blew my soup through my nose! :)

mike

Print the post Back To Top
Author: DeadheadFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14 of 1656
Subject: Re: TMFCheeze Date: 9/9/1999 3:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
DeadheadFool:

You are obviously correct by coming here to discuss the topic started on health/nutrition. When I read Cheeze's posts, I laughed so hard I blew my soup through my nose! :)

mike

Hey Mike,

I think Cheeze and I are not as far off as it seems. He has posted quite elaborately on the environmental benefits of veganism. Feeding starving children is just a very difficult topic to debate in BB posts - especially when neither poster is very well informed on the nuances of the subject.

This population realization is very new for me, so I can relate to where Cheeze is coming from. I think we Americans think we have the ability to make everything OK for the world. Of course that means OK as defined by American (Taker) culture.

Thanks for coming over! and hold on to your soup ;-)

Chris

Author: mikefar Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16 of 1656
Subject: Re: TMFCheeze Date: 9/9/1999 3:39 PM

Chris,

You are very perceptive. You must know that my heart breaks for the children, and I am convinced that many can be saved. I know people, though, who are so hardened and jaded that they believe that things will never be different -- so why even bother.

At first, I was afraid you were too jaded also, but after reading a few of your posts, I knew I was wrong.

Keep 'um coming.

mike

Author: catharine Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18 of 1656
Subject: Re: TMFCheeze Date: 9/9/1999 3:55 PM
"You are very perceptive. You must know that my heart breaks for the children, and I am convinced that many can be saved. I know people, though, who are so
hardened and jaded that they believe that things will never be different -- so why even bother."

I guess we have to consider this: is it more humane to feed people who can hope for nothing better than survivial (no jobs, no education, disease, enough food to survive but not enough for good health, no anything really) or is it more humane to let them die an early death (and avoid a long life of pain)?

I don't know the answer. I doubt any of us do. Its just something to think about.

Author: DeadheadFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19 of 1656
Subject: Re: TMFCheeze Date: 9/9/1999 3:56 PM
You must know that my heart breaks for the children, and I am convinced that many can be saved. I know people, though, who are so hardened and jaded that they believe that things will never be different -- so why even bother.

At first, I was afraid you were too jaded also, but after reading a few of your posts, I knew I was wrong.

Mike,

I'm about as optimistic as they come actually. Optimism is frustrating in this world, but it keeps a smile on my face.

In William McDonough's paraphrased words...When designing a sustainable society, we need to think with the simple premise...Love all the children!

http://www.mcdonough.com/

Chris

Author: DeadheadFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22 of 1656
Subject: Re: TMFCheeze Date: 9/9/1999 4:04 PM
I guess we have to consider this: is it more humane to feed people who can hope for nothing better than survivial (no jobs, no education, disease, enough food to survive but not enough for good health, no anything really) or is it more humane to let them die an early death (and avoid a long life of pain)?

I don't know the answer. I doubt any of us do. Its just something to think about.

Yes. This is the choice we were debating, but were to afraid to be as specific as you are here. Thanks for having more guts.

I think part of the problem is that these starving cultures are stuck between a taker and leaver culture. They are trying to cling to their leaver roots, but are being ruled by a few taker leaders who are weilding enormous power. Just my guess, but it makes some sense, and is definitely something to think about.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement