Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: stillwater9999 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19776  
Subject: Re: Dorfman's "Graham" stocks Date: 11/11/2009 9:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
TMFGebinr -

I read with some interest your comments on your experience with ACUS and Sequenom. I was Director of Science and Technology for J&J for 10 years in a Business Development group. My function was to evaluate outside technology and companies in the Rx arena, mostly Specialty Rx. I looked at many, many cos. including ACUS. We passed on many of these, did some deals. Overall my experience is that cos. without earnigs are very rarely good investments.

In my current role of financial advisor I almost never buy stock in such companies for my clients. This despite the fact that I probably know more about that area than most others. My conclusion is that the odds are almost always against the investor.

The only company that intrigues me currently of this type is Halozyme (HALO). I did make some nice money on that one investing prior to the announcement of their major deal with Roche. HALO intrigues me for a couple of reaons. Their technology provides a way for large Biophamra cos. to extend patent life on Biologics. That will become more important now that Biosimilars will be possible with the new legislation that is coming. Another intriguing factor is the large ownership in HALO by RJ Kirk, I ran into Kirk on one occasion while at J&J. We were looking at products from New River. J&J passed but Kirk made a killing on that one, eventually selling New River to Shire for billions. Kirk while not very ethical, is a savy investor. He made his first 100 million on an injectabe co. he started...

I have no current position in HALO but may re-enter at some point. In the meantime I am sticking to cos. with real and rising financials.

sw
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement