Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 41
TMFMycroft:

I am simply stating that Dollar Cost Averaging works and I am a living example of that as are millions of others.

You are not a living example of anything if you can't substantiate your self-proclaimed success. The public records from these boards and Yahoo regarding your recent major investments since 1998 or so (Coca-Cola and Nokia) suggest that you are living anecdotal evidence that Fisher, the rule maker principles, or any strategy that ignores valuation is doomed. You have lost money on Coca-cola during the time of your public record and as far as I can tell dollar cost averaging has not helped. If I'm not mistaken Nokia right now trades close to its price when you first declared your bullishness. In the meantime NOK has spend considerable time at much higher prices. Therefore, dollar cost averaging has worked directly against you (if you had followed that strategy) leaving you with a paper loss.

If you need to buy a stock then buy it now. Dollar cost averaging has the beneficial effect of lowering the variance of your average purchase price (smoothing out highs and lows) but the effect comes at a cost. If you believe that NOK will return 15% per year on average compared to money market rates of 5% then dollar cost averaging costs you 10% per year. Dollar cost averaging implies that your subsequent buys on average occur at higher and higher prices.

Datasnooper.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement