UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mkraft Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75339  
Subject: Re: Rechar of Roth 'conversion' v. 'contribution Date: 10/12/1999 7:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

TMFPixy at it again:

You're gonna pay taxes on that $2K at 28% whether you contribute to a Roth or not unless you put it in a fully deductible traditional IRA.

That was my whole point. You're normally a 15% taxpayer. In a particular year you have sufficient income to put you into the 28% bracket -- but you expect to return to 15%.

In that scenario, should you pay an extra 13% tax to contribute (non-deductibly) to a Roth or take a $2,000 deduction to contribute instead to a trad. IRA money you expect to later pay 15% on?

In my reading of your past posts on this topic, it always seemed to me you favored the trad. IRA. or at least questioned that the Roth would put one ahead.

that $560 paid today in taxes is recovered in three years inside the Roth. After that, everything is tax-free gravy.

The same applies to conversions, doesn't it?

Are you in essence saying that recharacterization is worthwhile even for *conversions* only if the value of the account since conversion has decreased dramatically, and *not* because of any tax bracket considerations.

That is, are you opposed to recharacterizations of Roths just because they are being taxed at 28% in the case of someone who normally pays taxes at 15%?

Thanks.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement