UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (35) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Kilmarnoch Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75890  
Subject: Re: Roth IRA Contriubtions & Conversions Date: 2/2/1998 7:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
TMFPixy wrote:
<<Hence, I don't think my use of marginal rates in this computation is either "bogus" or inappropriate. But I do think your use of effective rates is. <g> >>

That pretty much sums up my whole post, doesn't it?

It looks like the way I was trying to use effective rates for rebate calculations is all wrong, it turns out the different between my "effective rebate" and the real $560 rebate is always accounted for in the *change* in effective rate (deducting versus not deducting). Since I was using the same idea in that entire post I expect anyplace that involved a rebate is completely wrong.

<<You are obviously an advocate of effective tax rates>>

Actually I've not an offical advocate... haven't received my membership badge yet =). I hopped on that idea about a week ago... from you reply I see that it doesn't work some in places I've been using it, I need to think about it more.

The last few charts that didn't involve rebates (that used effective rates) might still be useful...

I'll still try to figure out a "roth-ify" formula based on time, tax rates and return rates... one must exist.

================

there is something that still might be worth asking:

given a taxable investment earning 9%, 30% is dividend income (taxed at 28% marginal rate), 70% is long term capital growth (20%).

I wrote:
<<I think the 8.244% return per year on the after tax account is bogus... here's my math:

return = (rate * 70%) ... taxed at capital gains rate + (rate * 30%) ... taxed at effect tax rate >>

TMFPixy replied,
<<I'm sure it makes sense to you to use effective tax rates here, but it doesn't to me. Again, the example has John in the 28% marginal rate. If the $560 per year earned a taxable dividend during the year, because of his marginal rate John would pay $0.28 on each dollar earned.>>

okay I agree, 28% on the dividends (not 22.6) and 20% on the capital gains. wouldn't that mean a still lower the after tax yield on a 9% investment:

return = (yield * 70%) ... taxed at capital gains rate + (yield * 30%) ... taxed at marginal rate.

so something like:
6.984 = (9 * .7 * .8) + (9 * .3 * .72)

after all if you are earning 9% and you get taxed at 20% on the whole investment you keep 80% of the "growth"... 9 * .8 == 7.2. How can someone who is being taxed at 20% and 28% expect a higher 8.244% return?

(8.244 / 9 = 91.6%, meaning the gov't only gets 8.4% of the yearly yield??? ... i must be missing something.)

Thanks
--Kilmarnoch
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (35) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement