Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Kilmarnoch Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121177  
Subject: Re: Roth IRA conversions Date: 1/25/1998 4:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
TMFTaxes writes: [[An otherwise eligible distribution won't be qualified if made within the 5-tax-year period beginning with the first tax year for which a contribution was made to the individual's Roth IRA. For payouts properly allocable to rollovers from a non-Roth IRA (see below), the 5-year period begins with the tax year in which the rollover contribution was made.]]

[[1. It is made within the five-tax year period beginning with the first tax year for which the individual made a contribution to a Roth IRA; OR
2. It is made within the five-tax year period beginning with the first tax year for which a qualified rollover contribution from a regular IRA was made.]]

Okay both of the above state that rollovers from t.IRAs into r.IRAs restart the 5 year clock ticking. What are the specifics of "merging" two r.IRA accounts ("combining" or "joining" (whatever it's called))? (see example2)

========================

example1:
- create a 1997-t.IRA.
- create a 1998-r.IRA.
- rollover 1997-t.IRA into 1998-r.IRA (by signing the waver)
* allowed to use 1998-r.IRA in 2003.

This is what prime13 asked about and what I plan to do, because the r.IRA was first contributed to *and* rolled into the same year, the two 5 year timers start ticking at the same time. I don't see how this could affect our abilities to remove money in the future?

I do understand that in 2000 if I roll my 401k plan into a t.IRA then right into that 1998-r.IRA would the nasty effect of reseting the 5 year timer from rollovers. (So I will roll that into a sperate r.IRA if I don't transfer it to the next job).

========================

example2:
- create a 1997-t.IRA.
- create a 1998-r.IRA.
- in 1998 rollover the 1997-t.IRA into a new rollover-1998-r.IRA.
* allowed to use both accounts in 2003.

- in the year 2000 merge 1998-r.IRA and rollover-1998-r.IRA into merged-2000-r.IRA.

Now the fun questions... both of the accounts that were merged *are* r.IRA accounts and *both* _would_ have been available in 2003. The rules listed above only apply to t.IRA into r.IRA rollovers...

does it:

a) reset the 5 year rollover timer on the new account?
b) use the largest timer of the two merged accounts?
c) use the timer on the accout that was merged *into*?

choice c is a nice happy loophole... =)
choice b is what I expect to be logical and reasonable (not an IRS sort of thing to do).
choice a well... sucks. many people will have 20 different r.IRA accounts in the distant furture.

both option b and c are nice in that eventually everyone can merge all r.IRAs into a single account to minimize tracking/trading hassles...

TTFN,
Kilmarnoch
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Nu Skin Showing its Age?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement