UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tompete Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21100  
Subject: Re: Ahchorage, Alaska Date: 5/24/2001 4:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
TMFTweety,

Lived there nine years, a big change from the DC area where I am now.

Rail system is a lot of fun. If you're based in Anchorage you can take it south to Seward (or Whittier, but Seward is much better) or north to Denali. From Denali, there are shuttle buses into the park, where you can ride for a while -- then get out and hike -- and then flag another bus back.

While Denali is great,especially for viewing the grizzlies, I loved Seward and kept a boat there. Take the all day Kenai Fjords cruise, get a harborside table at Ray's for dinner and hike to Exit Glacier, which is just off the road, but you can get a cab or van there from downtown Seward. Also check out Mt. Marathon in Seward, one of the oldest continuous races in the U.S.

You might conside a one or two day car from Anchorage to Seward because there are so many great stops along the way. It would be worth it, because the road to Seward is full of wonderful stops.

From Anchorage south you can see Dall sheep often right along the road, beluga wales in Turnagain Arm and the Portage Glacier. You can take the tram to the top of Alyeska -- and have a great hike/mt. bike down about 3,000 vertical feet.

Another great spot to stop in Girdwood is the Double Muskie for blackened red salmon. Let me know if I can help out further. BTW, there's a great running community in ANC and they put on some wonderful races.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement