Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JPLenny Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 124970  
Subject: Re: Tax Withholding and form 673/W-4 Date: 1/11/2005 12:08 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
To amplify Peter's response, you are entitled to use the foreign earned income exclusion when calculating your withholding allowances. There's nothing wrong with your adjusting so that the correct amount is withheld

Hey Phil and Peter,

Thanks for the response. If I understand what you are saying correctly, I can use the adjustments and deductions part of the worksheet on the W-4 to claim additional allowances.

Putting my 80K foreign earned income exclusion as an adjustment to my income in the W-4 worksheet, running the formula, and adding that to my other allowances, I come out with 28 total allowances for the W-4.

I guess that will do the trick, but it seems strange to have 28 total allowances on my W-4.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.