Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
To be fair, homeschooling can be done well. My concern, and this may be due to reporting bias, is all the times it is not. Usually (though perhaps not always) religiously-fueled. I have no reason to doubt IGU's claims, but I would question how typical that result is. Sure, intelligent conscientious parents can do a better job**. Too often that is not what home-schooled children get, however. It's a case of a some bad actors spoiling it for everyone.

I also share concerns about socialization, but that is a two-edged sword. Much less likely to have a bully or class disruptor in a home-school environment.

1poorguy

**Though there are limits. 1poorkid in high school was coming home with biology that was far more advanced than anything I had ever learned. If she were home-schooled we would have needed some resource who could step in because it was beyond me. Plus we could not have offered her the sort of lab experience she got in school.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement