Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 12
To be honest, I really need comprehensive financial planning. But that's a whole 'nother story, and at this time of year, the most important thing I need to concentrate on are tax strategies, since my rates are almost surely going up next year.

Before you break your arm patting yourself on the back for not waiting until the last minute, good luck finding a tax advisor, making an appointment, meeting, and acting on recommendations in time to affect 2012 taxes. Pity you didn't think about this when there was time to do something about it.

Finding a fee-based financial planner with nothing to sell you but expertise should be your first step. That person can probably point you toward a good tax advisor. Flailing about at taxes in a planning vacuum could do more harm than good.

That said, your best bet for getting advice you can use this year is here. For example, we've been talking about the Roth conversion issue you mentioned since the law changed in 2010. There are some really knowledgeable people here who volunteer their time and expertise, and we try to give references you can follow up to verify what you've been told.

So, feel free to ask away.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement