Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ABNRNGR Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2008  
Subject: To Buy / Sell Verizon stock Date: 7/25/2001 11:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
All,

First of all I will start with a disclaimer - I am a Verizon management employee. I do believe I am intelligent and independent enough to not allow that to cloud my decision-making. You be the judge for yourself.

As far as when to sell Verizon stock, I agree with several previous posts that it depends upon many personal issues. I do whole-heartedly believe it is important for any investor to not allow their portfolio to become too focused upon a single stock or market segment. Proper balance is the key. Case in point is Lucent.

Until early 2000, Lucent as a company could do no wrong on Wall Street. Their stock continued to reach higher valuations seemingly every day. Everyone was saying that the equipment vendors were the “arms dealers” of the telecommunications industry arms race. As such they would continue to profit from the explosive growth in the market and were essentially immune to any downward market forces. I work closely with many of the various equipment vendors to Verizon. As such I know many people from executives to include installation supervisors. I now have acquaintances within Lucent who could retire if it were not for the value of the 401K accounts. Many had succumbed to the allure of Lucent stock and allowed their accounts to be wholly invested in their company. As a result of the significant and rapid decline in the stock price, many have lost a significant portion of their 401K's value. Do not allow yourself to believe you are “on top of” market developments, or know your company so well as to think you can get out before things go sour.

My personal opinion as to the growth potential for Verizon is positive. I believe the company is well positioned to take advantage of new technological developments within the telecommunications industry (e.g. broadband, xDSL, and new wireless technologies). In addition the company has a consistent revenue stream as a result of its local telecommunications services. This will allow the company to maintain revenue projections and fund it's development of new advanced services and revenue streams. The company is dedicated to customer service and shareholder value. Granted the company has had some difficulty integrating xDSL into the network and maintaining the highest level of customer service and satisfaction. I assure you it is not through lack of effort.

Short-term the company is best positioned to ride out the current market troubles. In the long-term the company has the opportunity to leverage it's current position as one the top telecommunications service providers in the United States to consistently grow revenue and thus provide increased shareholder value.

Good-luck to all,

ABNRNGR

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Smuggling Rice and Garlic
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement