No. of Recommendations: 0
To clarify things, the check I was referring to came from my former employer for the total amount in my 401k plan. It was a direct rollover to my bank which offers no fee Ira's. But the check didn't get to the bank until after the Jan. 1 2001. Ihe money is in a traditional IRA at the bank right now and I want to convert that to a Roth. I want to pay the taxes on the conversion on my 2000 income taxes, but the bank said I would have to wait until next year because they didn't recieve the money until after Jan. 1, 2001. I think they are wrong. I hope this clarify's things.

It does; thank you. IMO the bank is correct. Since they didn't have anything to convert in 2000, there can be no conversion income for 2000. You'll have to decide whether you want to convert to Roth in 2001, assuming you're eligible.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.