Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: billjohn4 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 132  
Subject: To former GG members... Date: 4/24/2013 2:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
... I'm curious what the rest of you are doing to (1) follow the old GG rec's beside infrequent posting on the old boards and (2) to find new global investments. Have you kept all/some/few of the old rec's? How do you monitor their viability? Have you found other services that make global rec's?

Since GG closed its doors, there's very little information coming from the Fool. Further, the Orange Portfolio is a sometimes on/sometimes off facility, so you can't really build a global portfolio based on their buys. Further, they don't maintain any continuing advice relative to their businesses, finances, etc. The information from such sources, as Seeking Alpha are not dependable.

Just curious...

Bill
Print the post Back To Top
Author: anuragupta Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide CAPS All Star Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 104 of 132
Subject: Re: To former GG members... Date: 4/24/2013 6:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I have closed most of my GG positions. I get a good fill of foreign investment ideas from other TMF services like SA/RBS/II. Many of good GG stocks are covered in these newsletters.

Anurag

Author: veitclub One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 105 of 132
Subject: Re: To former GG members... Date: 4/25/2013 1:16 AM
> I have closed most of my GG positions.

Same here. I have quietly sold down most of my GG holdings over the last year.

I'm still holding onto CGA and YONG, but mostly out of curiosity how the story plays out. No major Dollars at work here.

I am also sticking with PDS and YUM for now, but considering what to do about them.

And finally, I think BLX is a keeper.

Thoughts?

V.

Author: anuragupta Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide CAPS All Star Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106 of 132
Subject: Re: To former GG members... Date: 4/25/2013 9:29 AM
I have BLX, ITRN, GSH, GSK, ESGR, PDS and many other blue chip recommendations. PVD was acquired and I sold it for considerable profit.

Author: carver1963 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107 of 132
Subject: Re: To former GG members... Date: 4/25/2013 10:39 AM
I still hold a few

PDS
Brookfield
Vermillion
Bladex
PVD - was not acquired -
Ituran
Arcos Dorados
Canadian Oil Sands

Author: vitrified Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 109 of 132
Subject: Re: To former GG members... Date: 4/25/2013 1:57 PM
Thanks for your post, carver, as it reminded me of Vermillion, which had fallen off my radar. I was surprised to find that it now has an NYSE listing *and* Nathan picked it for his Orange Portfolio last month (http://www.fool.com/investing/international/2013/03/28/why-i...), though I never saw any mention of that pick on these boards.

Nathan, please provide notice of new picks on this board. Otherwise, I don't know how to easily watch for them.

Author: carver1963 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 114 of 132
Subject: Re: To former GG members... Date: 4/25/2013 8:16 PM
I added more last week at 46.02, Vermilion that is

Author: LTInvestorJim Big red star, 1000 posts Ticker Guide Global Fool SC1 Blue Captain Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 115 of 132
Subject: Re: To former GG members... Date: 4/26/2013 10:32 AM
I've sold several of them but kept a few. I would have kept more, except that they are very time consuming to keep up with without the service to help.

My favorite is FRCOY. Excellent company and the stock is nearing 3-bagger territory for me. It's one of the top 5 holdings in my growth portfolio. I plan to keep it for a long time.

Jim

Author: TMFTypeoh Big red star, 1000 posts Home Fool CAPS All Star Global Fool SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 116 of 132
Subject: Re: To former GG members... Date: 4/26/2013 1:05 PM
Recommendations: 2
My favorite is FRCOY. Excellent company and the stock is nearing 3-bagger territory for me. It's one of the top 5 holdings in my growth portfolio. I plan to keep it for a long time.

I'm sad to say that I let my FRCOY shares go at much lower prices. Yes, I'm kicking myself for that decision.

I've still got YONG, CGA and (gulp) CMFO. I'm waiting to see what happens with YONG (as if I have a choice), and I'll sell CMFO when I need to offset some gains in other names. CGA i'll hold for a while, and will sell at some point down the road.

VET (formerly VEMTF) is a fantastic company, and I plan to hold for a long, long time.

I also have COSWF, which I'm looking to sell at a higher price.

BLX is still a holding, and I am comforted that MDP continues to hold it. It gives me access to a analysts opinion, though since they are divesting the asset management division it will be easier to follow. My theory is watch the dividend and net income (how original of me). Long term, I like latan american trade prospects, so they should prosper.

I sold off my ITRN completely...I just lost interest in the company, and didn't want to follow it.

Does anyone still hold CBI? I sold mine in the low 30's....another mistake. That stocks been on fire recently.

Brian
SA/RB Welcome Fool

Author: billjohn4 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 117 of 132
Subject: Re: To former GG members... Date: 4/26/2013 2:42 PM
Since so many of you "have shown me yours, I should show you mine." I've held on to many, probably more than I should. It's not because I can follow all of them (I can't); its just because I'm a "buy and hold" type of investor. Some of these have continued to do well (ADDYY, BAM, BIP, BLX, FRCOY - in spades! - PVD, some have attractive dividends (COSWF, GSK, ITRN, SCPZF, TEVA) some for hopefully their potential (ARCO, VET), and some because... well I've lost so much it doesn't make much difference to sell (CGA, YONG). Overlying all of this is a desire to stay invested abroad (the reason I got into GG in the first place) and because I haven't found any other service to replace GG. I suppose that last comment should be the impetus to sell them off and put money into investments that I know and am more comfortable.

ADDYY
ARCO
BAM
BIP
BLX
CGA
CHKP
COSWF
FRCOY
GSK
ITRN
PVD
SCPZF
TEVA
VET
YONG

Many thanks to those who responded. BTW, if you see a certain stock that you think I should dump immediately, please let me know.

Bill

Author: TMFTypeoh Big red star, 1000 posts Home Fool CAPS All Star Global Fool SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 118 of 132
Subject: Re: To former GG members... Date: 4/26/2013 7:25 PM
I forgot to add that I still hold HDB.

The company is also doing very well, and I plan on holding on to it 'forever'. Their growth prospects are fantastic, and their net interest margin remains high (and is climbing).

Brian
SA/RB Welcome Fool

Author: BaltoBruiser Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119 of 132
Subject: Re: To former GG members... Date: 4/27/2013 12:07 AM
Recommendations: 3
I have a couple that no one has mentioned or at least I missed.

KPELY - My brother lives in Singapore and can provide some updates but I have mostly just watched the company website. I sold enough shares to recoup my original investment and overall I am up over 80% combining realized and unrealized gains plus dividends on this one and beating the S&P by over 25%. Good pick, I don't think I am going to sell unless something drastic happens to the company.

MIL - originally KHD. After all name changes, I am still holding a position in MIL but I have gotten rid of KHDHF. Overall, I have a slight loss on this one.

TSODY - Everyone's favorite English grocery store well maybe not. They are fairly easy to follow especially when they are flushing billions down the loo competing here in the States...well at least that experiment is over. I like the new leadership and I think this one will be fine. Even with the US disaster, I am still positive on this position but losing to the S&P according to MY Scorecard. I will hold this one for awhile.

CCSC - RE-fried chicken anyone??? I have a very small position in this noodle shop (shout out to eatenbybears!) that had some issues with reusing cooking oil in the past. I don't follow this very closely and only read the quarterly reports. I sold half my position for a small gain prior to the alleged issues in the kitchens and have held the rest just to see how this one plays out. I will not sell unless I have to but I currently sitting on 52% loss on the active position and overall loss of over 25% on the total trade.

SSW - I think this was both a GG and HG rec. I like this one and continue to re invest the dividends to build my position.

SLT - Please stop laughing...mining and ore company in India who would have thought there might be issues with them polluting or abusing employees or doing anything that wasn't completely transparent and ethical.....a very small position that is not worth selling at this point. I don't follow this one very closely, reading the quarterly spin that management puts out with the financials.

I also own ACRO, BAM (and now BPY), BLX, and ITRN I think highly of all of these companies. I am up on all except ARCO.

Last and definitely not least .. no list would not be complete without AIB and CMFO. I sold most of my shares in these two when there was still some value in the shares. I actually made money on AIB because I took a gamble when the shares were about $1/share and then sold them when the price shot up to near $10/share in 2009. I sold all but 16 shares in 2009 and broke even on AIB. Now if I sold my shares, I would owe Fidelity money to cover the commission. Same holds true with CMFO.

Fool on!
Bruiser

Author: anuragupta Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide CAPS All Star Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120 of 132
Subject: Re: To former GG members... Date: 4/27/2013 10:52 AM
I decided to have a look at my port and see how many GG stocks I still have. It takes some effort to scan thru 250 stocks:

Returns include dividends

ABB (+37%), ADDYY (+80%), AKOA (74%), ARCO (-22%), ALV (+18%) ASR (400%, was it in GG or HG?), BAM(+26%), BIP (+125%), BLX (+77%), BOBS (+95%, tiny ones), CBI (+92%), CHKP (-10%), CHL (+23%), CLPHY (+29%), COSWF (-14%), ESGR (+89%), FMX (+128%), FRCOY (+152%), GSH (+36%), GSK (+42%), HDB (-1%), HOFGF (+4%, tiny ones), ITRN (+28%), MELI (+55%), MIL (+200%), NBBTF (-49%, tiny ones), NVS (+50%), PDS (-4%), PM (+177%), RBGLY (41%), RDY (+41%), SCPZF (+9%), SLB (0%), SWRAY (+11%), SYT (+74%), TEVA (+4%), TRUMY (-9%), TRP (+24%), TSRYY (+66%), UNICY (+63%), VETMF (+111%), WMT (+18%), YUM (+48%).

I sold many at sizeable profits like PVD, VTRAF as they got acquired. I lost nicely with CMFO, AOB, AIB, CGA and YONG and I sold them years ago.

Mostly I have found that leaving the stock alone usually end up well if they are chosen right. Chinese small caps have been an exception by being a total disaster. But even then, leaving the stocks alone gave rather decent returns overall. Whatever I have at the moment, I plan to leave them alone and add only to those that are covered by other services or Nathan.

Anurag

Author: Saarkhx Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 121 of 132
Subject: Re: To former GG members... Date: 4/27/2013 3:08 PM
Hi,

I find interesting the exercize of summarizing my GG positions. It was easy because unlike Anurag, I have only 85 stocks. Here I go.

A) Sold.

This list includes only the positions I sold since 2012/07/01. The returns include commissions and income, and are not annualized. The main criterion for selling, in all cases, was the too-low (or even non-existent) dividend, except PRD which was forced (grrr, now I know why I don't like preferred stocks).

AIBYY, -98%
NBG, -84%
LYG, -55%
PRD, +174% (this was forced)
BAP, +142%
SBMRY, +158%
CCH, +13%
ADDYY, +37%
FMX, +144%
NVO, +220%
GSH, +13%
BAM, +0.02% (no kidding; I admit price anchoring here :-)
TTM, +232%
RDY, +21%
CLPHY, +14%
BAK, +158%

B) Added to.

This list includes only the positions I added to since 2012/07/01, along with the price I paid. I really mean "added" because I opened no new position on a GG stock since 2012/03/29 (CHEOY).

ITRN, 10.90$ (orange portfolio)
CEL, 6.06$, 8.86$ (speculation)
ARCO, 13.06$, 13.48$ (orange portfolio and I'm enticed by the growth prospects here)
TEVA, 36.85$ (mainly averaging down)
NTDOY, 13.38$ (speculation and orange portfolio)
GSK, 44.58$ (dividend, miam)

C) Holding.

The returns include commissions except on the share I still hold, plus all income (including writing of a few covered calls), calculated as of 2013/03/28.

SLT, -48% (managed to be worse than CGA!)
CGA, -46% (will sell when appropriate for cap loss harvesting)
PD, -42%
GDFZY, -36%
CEL, -30% (considering to sell)
CX, -19%
NTDOY, -14%
COS, -12%
ARCO, -10% (will add to it)
TEVA, -6% (considering to sell)
SCPZY, +1%
SKM, +3%
MIL, +15%
CHEOY, +16%
GSK, +17%
CHL, +18%
ITRN, +25%
PT, +26% (considering to sell)
CRESY, +32% (considering to sell)
MTNOY, +33%
RSI, +33%
TLK, +33%
UL, +40%
AMX, +42% (considering to sell)
SSL, +42%
NVS, +51%
FHCO, +57%
HDB, +64%
AFN, +70%
TSRYY, +75%
BLX, +80% (will add to it)
VET, +84%
PVD, +96%
AKO.A, +103%
PM, +103%
YUM, +106%
NTE, +115%
WMMVY, +115% (considering to sell)
BIP, +125%
OMAB, +217%

/*****/

Another aspect of the discussion is what I've done after GG to compensate the loss of international coverage. As you've seen, I've kept (even added to) a few orange stocks. But mainly, I subscribed to Income Investor and opened positions on seven of their international recommendations (one more, and I'll have bought all their international recommendations which are not on hold). As a Canadian, I also own four Canadian stocks that most of you would consider international (Canadian tickers): CM (+54%), P (+127%), PWT (+64%), RY (+144%).

Happy investing,

Saarkhx
long ... see above

Author: anuragupta Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide CAPS All Star Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 122 of 132
Subject: Re: To former GG members... Date: 4/27/2013 3:56 PM
I forgot to add Sbmry to my list that I hold. It has been a good winner for me. I sold SLT in time at $12 after warning the community extensively. I am so many still hold it. I recently sold ntdoy at some loss after David Gardner gave up on it. I sold MPEL near $10 - made out pretty good on that. Yong and AIB were the only ones that really stung me.

Anurag

Author: zse4rf One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 124 of 132
Subject: Re: To former GG members... Date: 6/2/2013 9:24 PM
I have sold a number of my GG stocks, including cutting my losses on YONG and CGA. I am reluctant to keep stocks without current input from MF, but I consider the following to have enough potential to hold them:

Four that have done well (about 20% annual return): BLX, CCH, UL, YUM

Three that I still think will pay off eventually: ARCO, GDFZY, POT

I mostly keep up with them through MF Daily and other news articles and (infrequent) posts to the old GG discussions. I admit that is a bit casual, but there it is.

Paul

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement