No. of Recommendations: 1
to goofyhoofy--

Beautiful view. If I had $2850/month for rent I would consider...
I think it was a great investment for you but I think the point of some of these fools is that it may not be a great investment today (for any undetermined point in the future). But then I am not real estate investment savvy....

My personal opinion is that one might have made a good real estate investment in the distant past and you did quite well BUT the future looks so uncertain and the housing market is so out of whack that it will take decades before it is a sure thing if ever. And it may never be what it was in halcyon days (like the 1960s and 1970s).

In the future people may decide they want to be away from the coasts that face uncertain weather and rising seas. In the future people may want a green energy house that is so much more efficient than anything built today (or yesterday). In the future people may want land they can garden for food because the cost has so skyrocketed or the they don't trust the food they can afford. We just don't know what people will want in 2020 which is not that far away. Our world is changing so rapidly that people 15 years ago could hardly imagine everyone owning a cell phone that costs them 3 times what a landline would and acts like their little computer or TV that spews garbage 24/7 or a meltdown of 1930s proportion with a black president trying to combat racism and unfair criticism for trying to dig us out of a Republican mess (oh, wait a minute that one I could have believed 15 years ago...)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement