Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: zephyrr Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21  
Subject: Re: .... But the financials are NOT so great! Date: 6/4/1998 9:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
To Joe and other concerned investors:

Here is some information from a former insider in bullet point format for easy consumption-

1. You should not worry about their cash flow position. 95% of their new store development is franchise driven (ie. other people's money). Let's hope they learn a lesson from Boston Market.

2. Speaking of Boston Market (BM). There is tremendous upside for "Panera Bread" if BM falls. There would be a surplus of available and similar real estate for these guys. I hope they realize this and are analyzing BM's portfolio.

3. There is mixed reviews about the sale of the manufacturing facility in Mexico, MO. First, they took a loss on an $8,000,000 facility that is less than 2 years old. Second, according to Peter Lynch, ABP's (and thus Panera's) delineation from the rest of the industry was its ability to successfully vertically integrate. It has always be thought that ABP's core competence was manufacturing. In less than five years, they will be exposed like every other restaurant to the profit objectives of their suppliers.

4. The concept has always been well received by the customer. I would be the first to agree that the changes to the concept in design, menu, and focus was exceptional. But.... they are starting to lose focus on executing the fundamentals during this rapid expansion program. Chicago, Detroit, and Atlanta has suffered. The original entrepreneurial style has lost to the micro-management exhibited by every other branded burger chain. The "team" will tell you that once francising kicks in the entrepreneurial style will be back into focus. I hope that is the case. Obviously Dunkin Donuts have yet to deliver on that philosophy.

5. Some turmoil still exists in senior rank. Too many chefs theory. Rumors still hover about spinning off the ABP division. This poses both benefits and disadvantages. Benefit: Greater focus on cash cow! Disadvantages: 1. All of the infrastructure is embedded in ABP. Panera has been totally focused on growth, and I know from experience that they have yet invested a dime in their own infrastructure. Examples abound. 2. The sale of ABP would put a greater focus on the top senior mngt turmoil. 3. Panera would no longer be able to harness the skill sets in Boston. (ie. Finance, Accounting, Real Estate, Construction, MIS, and HR {NOT!} ).

In conclusion, the concept has tremendous potential. Currently the team has a less than stellar track record to execute. I hope have been some help to all.

Sincerely,

zephyr
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Netflix Riles Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement