Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
To me, these seem like positive indications. They suggest that he has progressed well beyond reading as a mechanical exercise of putting together letters to make words and words to make sentences. Instead, he is making contextual “guesses” about what is coming next based on the thoughts and concepts. But at the same time, it seems to really slow him down. He spends a lot of time re-reading phrases and sentences. He also seems to tire easily. After 15-20 minutes, he gets sloppier and slower. As a result, I'm not really sure what I can (or should) do.

From the symptoms you describe, I would have to agree with this paragraph. I interpret what you have described as indicating that he is quickly establishing a gestalt WRT what he is reading, and he is then devoting no more mental capacity to the mechanics. He is responding to you out of the gestalt, which leads sometimes to peculiar results.

I would interpret it as a combination of immaturity and boredom. You might try some more challenging material, specifically on a subject he is interested in.

I don't think I'd even worry about the possibility of overwhelming him. If he is interested in the subject, being overwhelmed might just cause him to focus more.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement