Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (319) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: sonofed Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 441150  
Subject: Re: Origin of Morality Date: 4/2/2002 3:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
To me, this is retarded. "Freedoms" can collide. Whose freedom bounds whose. If I say I have the freedom to take your widget, and you say you have the freedom to prevent me from taking your widget, whose freedom prevails if the majority of the world says the widget goes to the person who can take it and keep it -- first possession and/or 'lawful acquisition' means nothing. Might makes right?

From a practical perspective, we are all born with equal claims on continued existence. I do not believe you could identify a characteristic of an individual at birth that would make one more worthy of continued existence and one less worthy.

Since we all have equal claims to existence, it follows that there is no source naturally granting one individual moral authority over another without the other person's consent. As such, might does not make right. Might can certainly accomplish what you describe (taking the other guy's widet), but "can" and "ought" are two different things. Even if might could let one individual manage to wrest the widget from another, it would not be "Right" because the "mighty" one would be assuming for himself a supremacy over the other guy that does not fundamentally exist given the equivalency of each at the time of their birth.

In a nutshell, my freedom to swing my fist ends at the tip of your nose. Just because I can probably knock you down with the punch doesn't give me the right to throw it in the first place.

Steve
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (319) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement