Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have under paid this year and wondering what is the difference if I submit $1000+ of underpayment via 1040ES or an updated W-4 with larger withholdings?

The 1040ES will be easier for me and more timely. I work for a small company that uses and outsourced payroll firm. If I need about $1500 withheld before the end of this year, I don't want to depend on them to do it. They may start withholding to soon or to late. I see the probability that they will get it right as being very low.

However, will paying with a 1040ES voucher #4 raise any red flags with the IRS?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.