Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
To qualify for head of household, the qualifying person must be a dependent, not necessarily your child. If your parents file jointl, neither can qualify you, but if your mother filed "married filing separately", your father could qualify you as head of household if he has little or no income and you indeed pay for more than have his support.

As for transferring the house to you, (as my sister always used to say to me) why would they want to do that? If you inheirit it, your basis becomes the market value at the time of the last to pass on. Whereas if they give it to you, your basis is their basis at the time of the gift. And they don't have to deal with a gift tax return.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.