Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
To reply to Tinker ( someone I quite admire) I would have to disagree on several fronts.
Gilder sells the illusion that you can shortcut the time required to understand tech companies by reading his news letters. But if there is one thing I have learned in the last two years is that investing in tech is NOT easy. Not only do you have to understand how business/equity markets work you have to follow the technology as well. This is HARD. Period. There is a vast amount of info to know. Reading a news letter once a month is not going to do it. How are you going to separate the GSTRF, NT, LU, MOT, global crossing's from the NUFO, CY, AVNX's ( I own the latter) of his list? Lots of DD. No way around it.

As to finding out about these companies it is not too hard to find what Gilder is most recently hyping- it is aroound on the net. Also these companies aren't exactly state secrets -just go to Light Reading or Frozen Cannucks Fiberhead Freinds over here at the Fool -you will get all the info you need and then some.

And the last point- what does Gilder really say?
It is rather simple- companies which expand bandwith in any way are good, wireless is good if it is CDMA, storage is good even better if you can get at it- points which are common knowlege and not exactly helping you to lead the pack. Sometimes he is right about the companies in these areas. Sometimes not. He also likes to talk a lot about the death of Sonet and all optical switching with each home haveing its own lambda-nifty idea but just go over to Frozen Canuck's Fiber head Friends to see just how complex this really is.

In the final analyis I don't think Gilder helps that much in the current enviroment and he certainly does not replace copious amounts of DD.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement