No. of Recommendations: 0
In a retirement posting about December 21, Pixie charted the relative cumulative values in regular and Roth IRA's. He used the standard tax brackets (15, 28, 31 %) to determine when to Roth and when not to Roth. He stated the general principal that if you will be in a lower tax bracket when withdrawing the IRA proceeds regular is preferable to Roth because you end up with more money total.

I have seen this general discussion several times, but I do not recall a discussion that addresses this question:

"How do you calculate the relative values if "Rothing" effectively shelters that retirement income from the next higher bracket." That is to say that my other retirement income will hover around the top of the 15% bracket, and regular IRA money will spill up to 28%, but Roth money would escape taxation. My intuition tells me I come out ahead by "Rothacizing" now at 28% (paid from other funds) and drawing out a stream of Roth dollars beginning 15 years and out. Staying inside the regular IRA will expose those same IRA dollars to the 28% bracket (assuming current tax rules and brackets.) Anybody tried to calculate this?
Bx
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement