Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
To tell you the truth, it's come up a lot. However, you report your rental income on Schedule E, and your expenses, like mortgage interest on that property, also on Schedule E. This is to one's advantage if you are in the circumstance where you would do better to take the standard deduction.

It's not an option, Schedule E is where your income and expenses for rental property must all be reported. Depreciation goes there too. This helps in the near term, but may hurt in the long term depending on how rich or poor you are when you sell.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.