UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFBuster Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 17880  
Subject: Re: New Fool Insurance Center Date: 11/9/2000 9:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
To the board:

Just wanted to provide a quick update and some clarification.

First, thanks very much to Ted (TTRoberts) for his post and also to Arlie (greygreen) for three very helpful e-mails on auto insurance. I am carefully researching all of their suggestions and will make appropriate changes as soon as possible. I'm looking forward to continuing a positive dialog that helps us all.

As for some of the other feedback I received, I think I painted a picture, in some minds, that is a long way from what I meant to communicate. I hasten to point out that nothing in our new insurance content was "slapped together." On the contrary, I did exhaustive research on every topic and triple-checked all facts.

The center is certainly not an exhaustive catalog on every fact and detail of insurance, nor was it intended to be. The goal is to just frame the introductory material in such a way that our readers can ask the right questions and do the right research themselves, the idea behind all Foolish content. We don't give investment advice to individuals because, legally, we cant and, in terms of our mission, we don't want to. The idea is to promote interactive education in our community -- in both directions. All this applies to personal finance topics, like insurance, as well.

So, if you feel that I've missed some points, you can be sure I'm empathetic. The initial work was edited and re-edited by me and others, condensing thousands of words of copy down to what remains, in an effort to produce readable, concise introductions to each topic. I've kept a lot of the stuff that got cut and hope to add full-length feature articles on some of these topics in the future.

I hope that my openess to input from the community is seen as part of an ongoing, relentless effort to make our stuff better and better, and not as an admission of weakness. On the contrary, I'm very proud of what we've accomplished in our current insurance center introductiory content. I think it's immeasurably better than what we had before and better than any other introductory insurance material available anywhere on the web.

Nonetheless, as I said before, I am sure that it can be a lot better and I am a great believer in the spirit of Fools working together through this interactive medium to teach and help one another. So I thank the board for contributions so far and will work diligently to research them and react.

Again, any outright errors will be fixed immediately. This, of course, is standard operating procedure at The Fool. We don't think there is anything funny about errors and never have.

It's in the gray areas, where differences are more of opinion than fact, and practical limits restrict my ability to give all the details that I can't promise immediate changes. But I will keep my mind open, grow the introductory material as I continue to learn (that never stops, even for certified pros) and add feature articles as editorial priorities allow.

Best regards,
Paul
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement