Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Do you generally wait until April to file if you know you're going to owe a little bit of money? My wife and I had a bunch of job changes about half way into the year and decided to wait until the new year to adjust our withholdings, so we owe about $400 on 2007 taxes... any reason why I should be in a hurry to file? Seems like I might as well make a little interest on the money before I send it off.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 5
Do you generally wait until April to file if you know you're going to owe a little bit of money? My wife and I had a bunch of job changes about half way into the year and decided to wait until the new year to adjust our withholdings, so we owe about $400 on 2007 taxes... any reason why I should be in a hurry to file? Seems like I might as well make a little interest on the money before I send it off.

I always recommend that my clients file as soon as the return is completed. This way they know the return is in and they can avoid a late filing penalty. However, I also recommend that they not pay any tax due until just before April 15. You are not required to send payment with the return.

Ira
No. of Recommendations: 1
To piggyback on Ira's post.

I just efiled my taxes and didn't want to pay quite yet. I was able to just print out a voucher that I send along with my check when I'm ready. Seems really easy.
If I remember correctly, can't you even schedule an electronic ('direct debit') payment to occur at a later date? I know I did that last year, but don't recall if the option is available federally or maybe some states or what. If so, then you could file now, but not have the money debited until sometime near 4/15 (I'd schedule it a bit early - say, 4/10 - just in case)
If I remember correctly, can't you even schedule an electronic ('direct debit') payment to occur at a later date?

If you pay through EFTPS, it lets you specify the settlement date.

Brian
Advertisement