UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Stonewashed Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1977252  
Subject: Re: A fair deal in Chicago Date: 2/10/2013 5:18 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
To top pay for a patrol officer is $86,000 a year.

That isn't the part that stings. The part that stings is many of these public union members get paid almost as much when they retire, until they die, and many of them can retire pretty early.
These have not been properly funded. Neither have many of the larger corporations.

Meanwhile, those of us who did fund them and our own are sitting on piles of cash the government is increasingly oogling as a source of cash to fund their own empty promises.

My husband had a conversation the other day with a bank employee (manager) from Ecuador who is trying to save enough money to buy a house here. She told him in Ecuador once you paid off your house, no one could confiscate it, even if you were behind in property tax. She seemed to think that was the case here too.

In NY the property taxes have gotten so high, even if your house is paid off, your property taxes are 10 to 20 grand a year. And I wonder why a community that used to have a nice mix of ages is increasingly looking grey, or at best middle aged public sector retirees who claim Florida residency and "visit" or "trash collectors" with million dollar homes. The rest is simply underground.

We wonder why the young are leaving?

I guess the powers at be are assuming that most of economy is underground, outside the investment bankers, who are legally doing things offshore and laundering the money for the worldwide undergound economy.

In the mean time, we plebs who were brought up to pretty much believe honesty was the best policy, are having identity crisises.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement