UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: stockmover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10377  
Subject: To upgrade to Q2013? Date: 1/21/2013 1:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey guys,

I currently have the 2010 Quicken Deluxe version which is running great. According to Quicken they will discontinue the download function on 4/30/13. I initiate all my downloads through my credit card companies & banks websites for free. IOW I don't use the fee based (IIRC $10.95) download program Quicken provides. Will the free downloads also stop working? I sure hope not, but I'm not betting on it.

I've read mixed reviews on the 2013 Deluxe version with the majority of them negative to very negative. Supposedly, there have been 10 patches to resolve the initial problem but I dunno?

If in fact Quicken stops all of the downloads ... I guess I don't have a choice do I ?

Quicken recently sent me a letter offering me a promo offer(expires 4/30/13) of $49.99 for the 2013 Deluxe version.

I appreciate your advice on what to do?

Thanks,

Rich
Arizona
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Kurtv Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10076 of 10377
Subject: Re: To upgrade to Q2013? Date: 1/21/2013 4:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Het Rich,

I've never heard of the "paid for" download program. But the free (included in Quicken) download capability I use to connect to my brokerage that then automatically updates each account is what I believe they are talking about. If your financial institutions support manual downloads of data that can then be manually imported into Quicken, that could be an alternative.

You always have the option of installing the 2012 version and needing to upgrade again in two years instead of three.

Kurt

Author: TMFHockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10080 of 10377
Subject: Re: To upgrade to Q2013? Date: 1/21/2013 8:31 PM
Many of us found that the problems with Q2013 were solved by the time we upgraded (I upgraded about two weeks ago). Mine was easier than 2007 to 2010. I don't know anyone who is using the mobile to cloud app.

bob

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10081 of 10377
Subject: Re: To upgrade to Q2013? Date: 1/21/2013 8:44 PM
I have it but have not tested it yet. Right after I bought Q13 and TT12, I got sick with the flu and am just starting to get my feet back under me.

Fuskie
Who has not had any problems so far with basic use...

Author: 38Packard Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10084 of 10377
Subject: Re: To upgrade to Q2013? Date: 1/22/2013 5:26 PM
I've got Q2013 Premier running and I am up to R10 in patches. Q13P is running fine for me. Some nonsense issues appear but nothing that I would say significant to not to take the plunge. No way have I tried the mobile/cloud functionality, but I'd be interested in folks who may have tried it.

Thanks!
'38Packard

Author: stockmover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10086 of 10377
Subject: Re: To upgrade to Q2013? Date: 1/24/2013 3:28 AM
Thanks guys for the feedback. Since I never d/l any stock info and I always manually d/l my bank & credit card data I might just take a wait and see approach to see if Quicken stops my manual d/l's I manually initiate from each website. If Q stops them I will immediately update to 2013 .... by then all of the bugs should be worked out ... I tell myself ;)

Kurt my friend ... when I come across that optional Quicken $10.95 charge I'll post it in this thread so you don't think I'm nuts !!! (lol)

Thanks again for all your comments.

Rich
Arizona

Author: ShouldKnowBetter Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10087 of 10377
Subject: Re: To upgrade to Q2013? Date: 1/25/2013 7:57 AM
I would not upgrade if you can avoid it.

The biggest problem is you have to pay loans/mortgages via reminders instead of going to the loan itself.

What took in 5 minutes in 2012 version, now takes 3 times as long.

Author: ed1007 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10088 of 10377
Subject: Re: To upgrade to Q2013? Date: 1/25/2013 2:44 PM
>>The biggest problem is you have to pay loans/mortgages via reminders instead of going to the loan itself.

What took in 5 minutes in 2011 version, now takes 3 times as long.<<<

I am confused by this statement. What is taking longer?

I have two mortgages and a car loan set up in quicken. In two cases, the car loan and one of the mortgages I have an auto pay set up through quicken bill pay. In the case of the other mortgage I have a reminder set up that starts prompting me to pay the bill ~15 days before it is due. When I open quicken and see the reminder I write the check and click on the split of the transaction to adjust it to the extra I am sending toward principle that month. Total time including writing the check ~1 min. (In fact that is only reason I write that check by hand, otherwise it would be set up as an autopay as well.)

Is there something about Q2013 that makes this process take longer or just not work?

Just wondering as I am planning on an update this year.

Author: ShouldKnowBetter Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10089 of 10377
Subject: Re: To upgrade to Q2013? Date: 1/26/2013 12:00 AM
I have two mortgages and a car loan set up in quicken. In two cases, the car loan and one of the mortgages I have an auto pay set up through quicken bill pay. In the case of the other mortgage I have a reminder set up that starts prompting me to pay the bill ~15 days before it is due. When I open quicken and see the reminder I write the check and click on the split of the transaction to adjust it to the extra I am sending toward principle that month. Total time including writing the check ~1 min. (In fact that is only reason I write that check by hand, otherwise it would be set up as an autopay as well.)

Is there something about Q2013 that makes this process take longer or just not work?

It might work for you because you are using reminders. I don't or didn't. In previous versions I would go the the actual loan account and make the payment there. It would track what part of my payment was interest, the other part as principal.

In the 2013 version. You have to use Reminders! Maybe it will track your payment correctly. I have to adjust mine manual each time; enter in the categories etc.

See https://getsatisfaction.com/quicken/topics/q2013_create_your... for more detail explaintion on the problem.

Author: 38Packard Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10090 of 10377
Subject: Re: To upgrade to Q2013? Date: 1/26/2013 10:06 PM
Hi ShouldKnowBetter,

I was surprised by your initial post as I thought the ONLY way to pay a loan was to set up scheduled payments. Those payments are very close (not perfect) to matching my bank's way of amortizing payments and at the end of the year, I make an adjusting entry to true up the Quicken balance and the bank balance.

This takes me all of 30 seconds to execute every month and this works for me very nicely. Quicken tracks principle and interest (pretty close to the lender) also feeds tax and lifetime planning, etc. It is nicely integrated across the product.

Go ahead - give it a try. Please do NOT make this a reason to NOT upgrade. It'd be pretty painless!

Cheers!
'38Packard

Author: TMFHockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10091 of 10377
Subject: Re: To upgrade to Q2013? Date: 1/27/2013 9:02 AM
OT, but lesson learned. I refinanced with the same lender for a lower rate and the same remaining years (a former 10 year loan was reduced to 9 so that my end date didn't change).

I couldn't figure out how to use the old loan (plus it had a different loan number), so I sent up the new loan fine and made a payment. But, a day later, rather than $0 out the previous loan I just deleted it. BAD IDEA! That also deletes the data for that loan over the life of that loan. [I know -- Quicken actually has you type "YES" you really want to do that before you can delete it].

That's why back-ups are important, but I do need to re-enter the new loan AND I had made a payment. SIGH!

Probably NO ONE else would have been that stupid nor lazy, but learn from the slow one!

Bob

Author: Kurtv Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10092 of 10377
Subject: Re: To upgrade to Q2013? Date: 1/27/2013 10:14 AM
Recommendations: 2
Probably NO ONE else would have been that stupid nor lazy, but learn from the slow one!

I wouldn't be to sure about no one else ever doing that. Fortunately I always want to retain data just in case or to refresh my poor memory. Making sure to zero out any balance and then HIDE the account is definitely the way to go.

Author: ed1007 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10093 of 10377
Subject: Re: To upgrade to Q2013? Date: 1/28/2013 9:49 AM
>>>It might work for you because you are using reminders. I don't or didn't. In previous versions I would go the the actual loan account and make the payment there. It would track what part of my payment was interest, the other part as principal.

In the 2013 version. You have to use Reminders! Maybe it will track your payment correctly. I have to adjust mine manual each time; enter in the categories etc. <<<

Actually, quicken has more than one "flavor" of reminder. When you set up the loan you are given an option of how to pay. You can change this at any time. In my case as I use quicken bill pay and the lender is set up as a payee online, on option i have is effectively autopay. Quicken bill pay issues the check and when I download transactions quicken matches the payment to the loan and takes care of the split between interest and principle.

I can report that on occasion I do adjust the split for a payment between principal and interest. I just do it in the transaction when I get the next statement. Usually, no more than a penny or so. Even the loan that I pay extra on is usually correct the way Quicken splits it up.

I would find opening the loan sub menu, opening the correct loan, then writing and check, then "fixing" the amounts in the split to be time consuming. But to each his own. Good luck with the system that works best for you.

Author: ShouldKnowBetter Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10094 of 10377
Subject: Re: To upgrade to Q2013? Date: 1/28/2013 11:20 AM
I was surprised by your initial post as I thought the ONLY way to pay a loan was to set up scheduled payments.

Basically yes. That is the only way you can pay loans now (through Reminders). Or enter it manually.

Go ahead - give it a try. Please do NOT make this a reason to NOT upgrade. It'd be pretty painless!

Sorry, I already upgraded. And it was not painless. I had to spend several hours trying to figure out how to make my entries into Quicken. (Yes, I am stubborn :) ) Plus the Schedule payment no longer tracks the categories correctly. After to make adjustment everytime.

Author: ShouldKnowBetter Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10095 of 10377
Subject: Re: To upgrade to Q2013? Date: 1/28/2013 11:34 AM
I would find opening the loan sub menu, opening the correct loan, then writing and check, then "fixing" the amounts in the split to be time consuming. But to each his own. Good luck with the system that works best for you

All I had to do was go to the loan, click the button to make the payment and since it was an online payee , do those steps. Everything was fine; tracked Prefectly.

Now...

• Had to setup a reminder.
• Every time I need to either go to the “Reminder List” or click on the reminder in the Bill and Income Reminders
• Have the transactions window come up
• Click on the split categories
• Enter the correct categories
• Please enter again
• Please Enter again
• Do the steps to send on-line payments

So, the new “recommend way” is a lot longer than my pervious way, Plus it does not track the categories correctly anymore.

Author: ed1007 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10096 of 10377
Subject: Re: To upgrade to Q2013? Date: 1/28/2013 2:23 PM
>>>Had to setup a reminder.
• Every time I need to either go to the “Reminder List” or click on the reminder in the Bill and Income Reminders
• Have the transactions window come up
• Click on the split categories
• Enter the correct categories
• Please enter again
• Please Enter again
• Do the steps to send on-line payments<<<

I guess this is were I am confused. Yes these are the steps the FIRST time. But after that it should all be automatic. No more entering anything. Just open quicken and sync.

I went back and looked Quicken is never more than 1 cent off on the correct allocation of the split for a payment. And then only once in a while. To me not a big enough deal on a mortgage to worry about.

Author: stockmover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10097 of 10377
Subject: Re: To upgrade to Q2013? Date: 1/28/2013 8:10 PM
Recommendations: 2
Hi Kurt et al,

I started this thread and did some price shopping for the Q 2013 Deluxe version. After looking at Amazon I'm definitely NOT DOWNLOADING it but IF I do purchase it it will be the actual boxed disc as I always do.

FYI .... Get a load of this poor users experience :(

Quicken service support is an oxymoron, January 28, 2013
By
Janine A. Knoche "John R" (Detroit, Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Quicken Deluxe 2013 [Download] (Software Download)
After I paid almost $10.00 to get a problem resolved the first call that I made disconnected after I waited for about 15 minutes. The second call went to someone in india that told me after listening to my problem what she was going to transfer me to the online banking department and promptly disconnected me. The second call went to somebody that probably in India that probably didn't have a bank account because he was telling me that the cleared balance should be the same as the current balance in my checkbook. After 39 minutes of going round and round I asked to talk to his supervisor. He said he would call me back in 5 minutes. That was 25 minutes ago. Still no resolution to my problem.

Intuit needs a good competitor. They have the personal finance business tied up because people like me have so much data in the system that they don't want to change. I'm fairly confident that I have a corrupt database and they know it and don't know how to fix it.

If you're mot already using Quicken, don't start - it's junk

Sounds like (s)he is an experienced Quicken user but no one should be treated this way no matter what their experience level is.

Rich
Arizona

Author: nagdabbit Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10098 of 10377
Subject: Re: To upgrade to Q2013? Date: 2/5/2013 5:19 AM
Upgraded from 2010 recently - went smoothly.

Big sigh of relief,
nag

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement