UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: PShaughnS One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 931  
Subject: To Wesking Date: 7/14/2001 9:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Wesking,
I'm glad to hear that you finally told your wife what's been going on. It is important to be honest.

However, I'm going to say some things here and I may get flamed (hopefully not) and they are probably going to be things you don't want to hear but.....

If you are truly alcoholic (a lot of us can't spell <g>) you will not be able to stop on your own. That is the nature of the disease. The person has lost the ability to control their drinking. You may not be alocholic. I can't answer that for you, only you can. My personal experience has been that I tried 3 times to quit. Twice on my own. It was sheer hell. I was ready to commit myself to the psych ward because I was so miserable and wanted so badly to drink, but knew what would happen if I did. I finally got sober and stayed sober by coming to AA. It was easier to do it with the love and support of a Higher Power and the other members of AA. These are people who understand me and love me anyway. I can only again suggest that you try Mike's suggestion of going to 90 meetings for 90 days. If you feel then that you want to do it on your own you can at least say you gave AA a try.

Good luck and post again. We want to know that you are doing okay.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

My Big Fat Greek Splat
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement