Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
To work for a US company probably wouldn't work, as it would still be income earned in the foreign country.

Some U.S. companies deliberately structure their overseas offices so their U.S. employees overseas are treated like their U.S.-based employees for tax purposes. I know of one U.S. company (Boeing's office in the UK) that goes so far as to hire outside accountants to prepare personal income tax returns for their U.S. employees overseas because the various tax rules are so complicated.

I'll conceded the affected employees have to have unique skills, and the companies involved have to be the largest of the large companies. I'll also concede that France is a particularly difficult environment for U.S. ex-pats. Still, you may want to explore possibilities.

David Jacobs
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.