No. of Recommendations: 0
Tom -

403b plans can be very useful (even "bad" ones) for accumulating pre-tax deposits that grow tax-deferred for retirement. You wife's account must have several different subaccounts to select for investment...
Make an appointment with a representative from the company that manages the retirement plan (John Hancock?) and discuss your needs & preferences for your retirement dollars.

If you get no satisfaction after such a meeting, you could arrange for periodic partial transfers from the 403b plan to another 403b or 403b(7) account with another vendor (insurer or mutual fund company). This can be done while still working for the same employer.

After terminating service from that employer your wife may opt to "rollover" the 403b account to an IRA of your choice. A little paperwork, perhaps, but it can be arranged to your satisfaction.

Good luck, PP
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.