Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: WhidbeyIsland One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4337  
Subject: Tom Dyson -- "American Quitters" Date: 5/29/2008 4:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I received by postal mail a booklet called "American Quitters" by a "Tom Dyson."

It provides various "investments" that pay remarkable dividends. I didn't read it carefully and felt no temptation to explore further. Everything about it smells "scam" to me.

Anyone familiar with this particular publication, author, etc.? If it's as good as it claims to be, Motley Fool might as well shut down right now because they are obsolete.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Globetraveler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4268 of 4337
Subject: Re: Tom Dyson -- "American Quitters" Date: 5/30/2008 1:09 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
It provides various "investments" that pay remarkable dividends. I didn't read it carefully and felt no temptation to explore further. Everything about it smells "scam" to me.

While it might seem like a scam, it seems the guy is legit writer/investor. Whether or not his investing advice is sound is a different story. They same could be asked about the fantastic claims of some of the TMF subscription products as well

Anyway - all about Tom Dyson from From: http://www.dailywealth.com/sdw_contributors.asp

Tom Dyson is a contributing editor, with Dr. Steve Sjuggerud, of DailyWealth. There's not another financial writer with a more proven contrarian view. Tom made his first trade age 12. The stock returned 300% in less than 9 months. Since then, Tom has worked on a bond trading desk at Salomon brothers, qualified to the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants - the UK equivalent of CMA in the US - and ridden freight trains all over North America.

In his spare time, Tom likes to speculate in the capital markets, gamble on the golf course and play poker against his colleagues. He graduated from the University of Nottingham with a degree in Spanish. Tom's articles have appeared in the Daily Reckoning, the largest e-letter in America, and many other well-known contrarian websites.

Author: WhidbeyIsland One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4269 of 4337
Subject: Re: Tom Dyson -- "American Quitters" Date: 5/30/2008 8:01 PM
Globetraveler,

Thank you for your informative reply.

While it might seem like a scam, it seems the guy is legit writer/investor. Whether or not his investing advice is sound is a different story. They same could be asked about the fantastic claims of some of the TMF subscription products as well

That's a pertinent point. I have commented several times that the MF "hard sell" advertising of their products is a bit irritating and makes them sound more than a little desperate and flaky. At the risk of engaging in a little pointless MF name dropping, I will say that I participated in MF during its earliest days of the on AOL, once wrote a few (dubious quality) articles for them when they were considering using people scattered around the country as virtual employees (an idea they sensibly dropped), and even met Tom Gardner in the flesh when he visited some would-be virtual employees in Portland, OR. Having been in contact with the organization on and off for a number of years, I tend to take their hyberpolic marketing in a more relaxed way than I probably would if I were encountering them for the first time.

So I will re-read Mr. Dyson's booklet with a little less of a flippantly negative knee-jerk reaction and a little more care after contemplating your post.

Author: Globetraveler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4270 of 4337
Subject: Re: Tom Dyson -- "American Quitters" Date: 5/31/2008 11:50 AM
That's a pertinent point. I have commented several times that the MF "hard sell" advertising of their products is a bit irritating and makes them sound more than a little desperate and flaky. At the risk of engaging in a little pointless MF name dropping, I will say that I participated in MF during its earliest days of the on AOL, once wrote a few (dubious quality) articles for them when they were considering using people scattered around the country as virtual employees (an idea they sensibly dropped), and even met Tom Gardner in the flesh when he visited some would-be virtual employees in Portland, OR. Having been in contact with the organization on and off for a number of years, I tend to take their hyberpolic marketing in a more relaxed way than I probably would if I were encountering them for the first time.

I've communicated the same thing about some of their solicitation emails for some of their investment newsletters. I really feel that they come across as sounding more like a financial scam rather than a legit newsletter. They haven't changed much, so I guess it works for them. They are the ones running the business, so if a few people think they are flaky, there must be many more who respond to those types of advertisements.

Author: boredgenius Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4280 of 4337
Subject: Re: Tom Dyson -- "American Quitters" Date: 6/24/2008 4:30 PM
Ditto for me.

The MF newsletters are every where on the 'net and i do mean every where!

Frankly its beginning (or gotten) to look more and more like a scam advertisement.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement