Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

Thanks for the strategy you noted, but I guess what I failed to mention, which seems to be the most important aspect, is that the house I'm buying is not their primary residence, which, I believe, will not allow them to take advantage of the capital gains exclusion.

Looks like they'll have to pay, but at least I'll be able to take advantage of the prop 13 tax freeze since
the house is in California and my parents bought it back in 1964.

By the way, was there a special form your brother had to complete in order to make sure he paid the lower taxes?

Thanks, Sandra
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.