No. of Recommendations: 0
tommc writes (in part):

for conversions of traditional IRA into Roth Ira? If I held a stock in a traditional IRA over 12 months and convert all this money into a Roth is the gain taxed at income tax rate or capital gains rate?

I reply:

Taxable distributions from an IRA are always taxed as ordinary income, and never as capital gains. That's the reasoning behind intercst's advice that non-deductible IRAs are inferior to taxable buy-and-hold accounts. (By the way, I tend to differ, primarily because I hope that Congress will do away with the $100,000 modified AGI limit on conversions, allowing me to place more into a Roth.) --Bob
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.