No. of Recommendations: 0
Bought me a Garmin, but it would not update the map online. So I took it back and traded it in for a Tom Tom at Best Buy. It too acted all wierd upon trying to update the map. Finally, it did.

But now when I boot my computer up it is all slow or freezes, and then when I reboot by hitting the off button (won't even do a "shut down" sometimes, via the start menu), tomtom.com opens automatically. I mean, it shouldn't even be opening Internet Explorer, but not only does that browser open, it hijacks it to the tomtom.com website.

I did a super anti spyware scan, nothing showed up. I go to my remove programs, and sure enough there's a couple tomtom programs there, which seemed kind of odd. I don't know why the navigation company would need to download a program, just to update maps.

Anyway, I can hit "uninstall" on the Tom Tom programs and see if that helps. But I was just wondering if anyone else had any experience with this website, or if there is a better way to tell if it's like a virus or hijaker or spyware or whatever? I'm running win7, ie9.

Thanks,

Paul T.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 30
Why should you get help when you do not thanks those that respond or you argue with them while you come across like you know what you are doing.

This post shows your total lack of knowledge and until you humble your self and apologize for prior actions and the comment that people here "often don't know the correct answer"- NADA ZIP foru!!!!
No. of Recommendations: 11
Seriously? There are still those who don't have that poster on ignore? Seriously?

Ken
No. of Recommendations: 6
I understand the sentiment; I really do.

But this is not what this board used to be about.
Help given freely, no recriminations necessary.

Don't take the help? Your loss, not ours.
But we never stopped offering assistance.
If you don't benefit, someone else will.

I haven't posted on this board for years. Frankly, I pretty much got driven off.

But that's ok. Maybe I don't belong here anymore.

klash
Bought me a Garmin, but it would not update the map online.

I was given a Garmin, and I had no problem updating the map, after I downloaded the special app necessary to transfer it from my Mac to the Garmin unit.

Did you try and update it online?

I don't know why the navigation company would need to download a program, just to update maps.

How else could they do it?

Your computer can download the map files from TomTom, but once those files are on your computer, how do you expect them to get transferred to your device?

SJK
(Who has since given away the Garmin; I now use the maps app on my phone.)
No. of Recommendations: 1
(Who has since given away the Garmin; I now use the maps app on my phone.)

I have a Garmin, and it is similar to what you described for the TomTom: I had to download a Windows application from the Garmin web site after I had purchased a lifetime map subscription (I can redownload it when I change computers, which I did when my previous PC decided to die), install that software on my Windows machine, and now that application checks about once a month (or when I specifically tell it to check) to see if there are new maps and, if there are, it will prompt me to connect the Garmin unit to my computer (a special USB cable) and then it will download, uncompress and transfer the maps to my Garmin Nuvi 255w unit. It seems that new maps are available quarterly.

I was previously using Windows XP and Firefox. I am now using Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) and Firefox.

What Paul T. describes isn't normal, and, like him, I would have suspected a virus or other malware.

Paul, do you have a fast Internet connection? (Broadband, DSL, or similar) Wireless? What is your normal download speed? (Thinking maybe the software is not getting enough time to download a set of maps.)

I generally fire up speedtest.net for testing my download speed, which just now reported 25 Mbps download ( http://www.speedtest.net/result/2448633101.png ) but normally it is closer to just 20Mbps, and at that speed, it normally takes the Garmin Lifetime Updater 45 minutes to download the maps, 5 to 10 minutes to uncompress, and about an hour to transfer the maps to the Garmin. Of course, actual downloads would be affected by speed between your PC and the Garmin web site (or wherever the maps are really hosted), not between your PC and the closest Speedtest hosting server.
Anyway, I can hit "uninstall" on the Tom Tom programs and see if that helps. But I was just wondering if anyone else had any experience with this website, or if there is a better way to tell if it's like a virus or hijaker or spyware or whatever? I'm running win7, ie9.

Rather than spending a lot of time trying to figure out if you have a virus, I'd just uninstall all the software and see if things return to normal.

If things clear up, you know the issue was with the software. You can attempt another install and if you have the same issue, address it with TomTom directly. While uncommon, I've had a botched install or two that makes things go a bit wonky but clears up on a second install.

If things don't clear up, go down the the nefarious spyware/virus/trojan search route.
Also, if tomtom has a web site where you can download the latest software, it may be better to download the program from there than from some install CD, and install that after uninstalling the current TomTom software (and Garmin software, if that is still installed).
20Mbps, and at that speed, it normally takes the Garmin Lifetime Updater 45 minutes to download the maps…

Just because your connection can run at that speed doesn't mean Garman's server actually send them that fast.

Assuming 2 bits per byte for network overhead, that would be 20 * 60 * 45 / 10 =~ 5.4GB. It's possible the file is that big, but I doubt it.
20Mbps, and at that speed, it normally takes the Garmin Lifetime Updater 45 minutes to download the maps…

Just because your connection can run at that speed doesn't mean Garman's server actually send them that fast.

While that is indeed true (and delays can also be caused along the route), it is also conceivable that someone with a mere 1.5Mbps download speed would require far longer download time than someone with a 20Mbps download speed, which is why I asked about the download speed (e.g., as measured by speedtest.net) of the original poster.
Advertisement