No. of Recommendations: 1
I am 100% disabled, 52 and have an income that will remain comfortable for the rest of my life. (lucky me) I plan to open my first IRA Jan. 3 2000 transferring all of my 401K and allot 1/3 to Foolish 4, 1/3 to RM and 1/3 to RB.
I realize that this is pretty aggressive but from what I have seen the F4 has a history of around 25% with RM at 30.44 and RB at 72.28%.

I love the game of Craps, BUT... How much credence should I put into TMF actual numbers and reasearch?

Sleepless in San Diego.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
ToesUp, you asked:

<< I love the game of Craps, BUT... How much credence should I put into TMF actual numbers and reasearch? >>

Wouldn't "how much credence" you put into something depend on just what one's actual historical results were and how long those results go back. . . . rather than something built on hind sight?

If it were just so easy to earn those kinds of numbers . . . wouldn't one think that professionals would be scrambling to do the same thing for their clients so that they too can make more money (either in the market and/or due to increased number of clients and revenue due to their results)???

What do YOU think? (Remarks, comments . . .anyone?)
No. of Recommendations: 0
TTRoberts Date: 12/12/99 9:26 PM Number: 16193
----------------------------------------------------

<<Wouldn't "how much credence" you put into something depend on just what one's actual historical results were and how long those results go back. . . . rather than something built on hind sight?>>

Probably so.

<<If it were just so easy to earn those kinds of numbers . . . wouldn't one think that professionals would be scrambling to do the same thing for their clients so that they too can make more money (either in the market and/or due to increased number of clients and revenue due to their results)???>>

There's food for thought.

Do remember, however, that the majority of "professionals" fail to do as well as a reasonably well chosen index and,

Perhaps some of the reasons are that they feel more comfortable following the herd and spouting traditional "wise" slogans instead of really thinking about anything other than their own profit.

They "professional" seems to believe that it is unprofessional to be concerned about any profit for the client and professional to arrange that there be profit for the "professional".

ToesUp Date: 12/12/99 8:44 PM Number: 16191
-------------------------------------------------

<<I am 100% disabled, 52 and have an income that will remain comfortable for the rest of my life. (lucky me) ...>>

Lucky? Hey, as long as your mind still works you are lucky and you will never be 100% disabled.

<<I plan to open my first IRA Jan. 3 2000 transferring all of my 401K and allot 1/3 to Foolish 4, 1/3 to RM and 1/3 to RB. I realize that this is pretty aggressive but from what I have seen the F4 has a history of around 25% with RM at 30.44 and RB at 72.28%.>>

If you think that is "pretty agressive", I suspect that you are not totally comfortable with it. Perhaps you would feel more comfortable if you used or added some DIA, SPY, and QQQ.

In any event, you should learn enough to understand enough to feel really comfortable with any long term plan if you intend to be able to stick with it over long periods of time.

<<I love the game of Craps, BUT... How much credence should I put into TMF actual numbers and reasearch?>>

About as much credence as you would in your ability to pick up the dice and roll seven, seven times in a row. The numbers may be real, however you have little chance of duplicating some of those results.

TMF has done a great job of making us aware of certain possibilities, however their intent has always been that we use TMF resouces to learn for ourselves and to understand basic principles, rather than to simply and blindly follow what they may have done in the past.

<<Sleepless in San Diego.>>

If you are sleepless because of your portfolio choices, perhaps that might be telling you something.

ToesUp:

If you have enough income to live comfortably on, you shouldn't have much question as to what to do. Though this is not a game of CRAPS, I believe this is more fun. It has made me more money then the tables. What are you to do with the extra monies that you WILL produce from your IRA/401K? I don't think that the F4, RM and Rb are to aggressive for your situation. I am not invested in any of the strategies that you name but I am probably invested in many of the some stocks. I invest in three of the screens of the MI board. I have over 100% gain this year and still three weeks till my investing year is over. I think that the TMF numbers are credable. Next year will be different but historically the returns will be substantial. Unless there is some restriction on your Xfer of you 401K, I would do it NOW.

Good Investing - Vagabond
If it were just so easy to earn those kinds of numbers . . . wouldn't one think that professionals would be scrambling to do the same thing for their clients so that they too can make more money (either in the market and/or due to increased number of clients and revenue due to their results)???

It is NOT so easy.

1) It requires discipline.
2) It requires patience.
3) It requires commitment.

Why would a professional want to do anything which reduces his/her income ? (reducing fees/loads/expenses)

If a professional can make 1.5 - 2% with mediocre results, then even if that same professional has 10 times the volume with better results, but only makes 0.1% then he/she still loses income.
Advertisement