UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: blacktreechaser Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76237  
Subject: Too late to convert Trad.IRA to Roth for 2013? Date: 2/11/2014 6:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I imagine the answer is no, but...could I convert some Traditional IRA funds to a new Roth IRA account, and put the conversion on our 2013 taxes??

I'm thinking that since IRS allows 2013 contributions up until mid-April, maybe they cut us some tax-planning slack on withdrawals and conversions also..

I looked briefly on the IRS website, and couldn't easily find an answer
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74241 of 76237
Subject: Re: Too late to convert Trad.IRA to Roth for 201 Date: 2/11/2014 6:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I imagine the answer is no, but...could I convert some Traditional IRA funds to a new Roth IRA account, and put the conversion on our 2013 taxes??

You imagine correctly. A conversion from traditional to Roth is counted in the calendar year in which it happens. It's too late to do one for 2013.

--Peter

Author: Hawkwin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74242 of 76237
Subject: Re: Too late to convert Trad.IRA to Roth for 201 Date: 2/12/2014 9:58 AM
Recommendations: 0
blacktree, did you make any contributions to your TIRA for 2013? If you did, you could look into recategorizing your contributions to the Roth.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement