No. of Recommendations: 0
I have recently come into some money and would like a small portion of my portfolio to be invested in fixed income securities. I have never invested in bonds before and, quite honestly, they frighten me. I have done a fare amount of reading about them and am familiar with the lingo and how they work. However, reading about tennis and playing tennis are two different things. I might add, that the amount I am interested in dedicating to bonds amounts to about 300K. I only mention this because the amount might affect the strategy(s) I use.

I have too many questions at this point, so I will only start with a few.

1)Given the recent events in current bond market (by that I mean the inverted yield curve), do I need to worry about my timing and when to get started?
2)I've read that when interest rates are low and rising a good strategy is to invest in short to medium term bonds. Is this a sound approach?
3)With the amount I am interested in investing in bonds, would my strategy be any different than if I had less money to invest?
4)To invest in stocks I use a dollar cost averaging scheme, is there a similar strategy used for bonds?
5)How often do I need to review my bond portfolio?
6)Is there a particularly good book on the pros and cons of laddering, barbell, bond swapping and the like?
7)As compared to the stock market the bond market seems to be a hidden beast. Are there any good web sites, or any other sources for that matter, that makes the market a little more transparent?

Forgive me for dumping so much into one message. Answers/opinions on any of the above is greatly appreciated.

Truly a Fool,
PutMoneyOn
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement