UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3278  
Subject: Top Books of 1966 vs 2012 Date: 3/20/2012 12:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/galleries/2012/03/18/t...

Top 10 Fiction and Nonfiction Books 1966 Versus 2012

I've read one nonfiction from the 1966 list and am reading one from the 2012. I haven't read any of the fiction
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Jacketfan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3220 of 3278
Subject: Re: Top Books of 1966 vs 2012 Date: 3/20/2012 10:03 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Interesting, I guess. It seems like the year was cherry picked, but it's not surprising that bestsellers meant something different in 1966 than today. Though keep in mind that is with 46 years of hindsight.

I haven't read anything from either 2012 list, and didn't see anything I plan to read.

I had read In Cold Blood. Several of the other 1966 non-fiction books looked good also, but I don't read much non-fiction. I'll probably get The Embezzeler and Up the Down Staircase from the library.

v/r
Tom

Author: Jacketfan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3221 of 3278
Subject: Re: Top Books of 1966 vs 2012 Date: 3/20/2012 10:07 AM
http://www.thedailybeast.com/books.html

Sorry, also meant to mention that after just a brief look, I love this site. I'll be returning every week, and I would give you another rec if I could, just for this.

v/r
Tom

Author: TMFCogitarius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3222 of 3278
Subject: Re: Top Books of 1966 vs 2012 Date: 3/20/2012 12:29 PM
Thanks for sharing that!

Amazing how many good authors/ books were on the '66 list. A bumper harvest! Good to see so many of my old favorites - Deighton, MacInnes, Greene, Michener, Ryan...

Berne's 'Games people play' is a must read - great insights into how people interact with one another.
Best quote : "I'm OK, You're not OK" :)
----------------
Global Gains Home Fool

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3223 of 3278
Subject: Re: Top Books of 1966 vs 2012 Date: 3/20/2012 12:44 PM
Recommendations: 1
"Berne's 'Games people play' is a must read - great insights into how people interact with one another."

I'll second that.

Ken

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement