Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: RBrowndog One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1805  
Subject: Re: Choosing a Scope Date: 4/10/2002 4:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
top-notch 4" can't come close to the performance of a good 8"...

I hope we can discuss these opinions. And God forbid, I don't want to start an argument...just bring out clear thought on opinion.

I know the common knowledge that aperture rules.
I also know about the many experienced astronomers who would much rather use a high quality 4 inch refractor than an OK 8 inch reflector, or one of those schmidt cassegrain doohickey whatever neat telescopes. I hope I didn't offend anyone... those things are really neat toys...

I have almost no experience actually looking through scopes. I try to judge opinions like that of Ed Ting....others also. I realize these people love the beautiful clear images they get with their refractors. Even though the image is much dimmer. They are able to identify something with the clarity and detail given by their telescopes. They find it more enjoyable to view through. Keeping that in mind....I do know there comes a point where their refractors just can't compete... period...with large aperture. Keeping that in mind....there is a ton to look at and study with pleasure within the confines of their 4 inch high quality refractor.

Now with the under $1K 8 inch reflectors. You have the light gathering. But, isn't there a sadly lacking clarity and detail to the image? Isn't it harder to actually identify and see detail in images? I find this thought to be very discouraging. Yes...the astronomer can much more easily find things...but they're usually....well..lacking definition. Isn't this the case?

I'd like your thoughts on this? I don't want to argue specific telescopes. Like you said, you saw the impressive info at DGM. No need to discuss that. I think perhaps all I'm wanting to discuss is the preference for refractor, with it's lacks, versus reflector and it's drawbacks. I know there is much variety versus price etc.

Ron
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement